1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day 7 report

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dales, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just thought I'd to the traditional thing and post a day 3..... errr 7 report on my new job. My new job title is IT Manager & Network Administrator (a rather grand title for what I actually do)! My job involves looking after the entire infrastructure for the company (much smaller than my last job but still a different challenge). The backend is the more usual AD/Exchange infrastructure which is actually really nice to get my hands on and it gives me a valid reason for studying an Exchange exam. There so far do not seem to be many what I would call helpdesk calls, there is a document with ongoing issues which are more really project based work than anything(this has also given me a good excuse to knock up a linux server with some open source helpdesk package). They have vpns for remote working (there are a few remote sites as well which use the vpn), and we have just signed up to join the BT 21st century leased line which means I've got a bit of reconfiguring of public IP's etc.

I've also looked over their DR plan today and added a few suggestions, and generally been poking around the network seeing whats what. There are a few things that I would like to change as they appear to have not really been done that intelligently, as I understand it there were IT contractors who did most of the work and they obviously were more interested in the fee than doing the job properly judging by what I found on day one. The network is a bit of a mess, everything seems to work but some things were misconfigured or just badly installed.

So I guess I'll have loads of fun sorting it out and we shall see what happens after that.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Glad you're enjoying yourself at your new workplace. You will gain tons of experience I am sure, just keep at it and with your attitude you'll do well, I am sure.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA