Daunting first job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Nov 12, 2008.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

hi, im Gary

Im just about to start my A+ self study, eventually my aim is to be a network (cisco) engineer

ive been scanning though the forum and ive found that the first job in I.T is to work your way up is help desk support.

my question is, once ive completed the A+, (This might seem like a silly question) but when i get my first job in help desk support, is it a difficult job to do, or will it be easier than the things ive learned in my study

silly i know, its just that im want to get in to I.T, ive always liked it and for years ive wanted to do be an engineer or some sort but because i have no experience in the the office environment i don’t want it to chew me up and swallow me then i end up hating it (Know what i mean)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

The particular easiness/trickiness of your first job will depend very much on the company. I don't think you'll find many 1st line jobs more challenging than the A+.

My 1st IT job was massively scripted with you working through a set list of technical fixes (which is rubbish after a short amount of time), the job I'm in at the moment new guys get quite a lot of access but are unleashed slowly.

Remember the network admin doesn't want anyone unleashing mass chaos on the network so they will give u access slowly as u learn. As long as you stay positive and ask questions you should really enjoy ur first role.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Duplicate thread anyone?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

x2 Duplicate

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3