Database route?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by steve_p1981, Jan 27, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i've got close to the end of my a+ book and after a practice exam and watchin those prof messer vids and a bit of re reading the harder parts, i'll be taking my real test.

I think i might want to get into database systems for a career, what i need to know is what's the best course to take? do i need to learn n+ and then get onto the database stuff or can i get right into it? i'll start with ms access then get into sql i think. not sure what courses are available or if i'l be wasting my cash as i don't know how easy it will be to get a job with no DB experience.

please advise :-)

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. AlexHalliday

AlexHalliday Bit Poster

I hope the others will echo me here!

I am guessing from your post that you are quite new to IT, in which case the Network+ will be very useful. The basics of networking are vitally important to pretty much everyone in IT. You may be working on a database, but that database still has to connect to the clients!

Database jobs can be well paid (as can any path in IT), however as you say experience is critical from my experience. The key is that you would be dealing with a businesses data, the most valuable part of their IT system - as such they wouldn't let anyone near it without prior experience, best way would be to work in a flexible Systems Analyst position and then take a parallel nudge towards DBA work in that position. (That's how I got my experience with MSSQL server :))

Alex

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Oh Gods no! Stay clear the Feck away from MS Access. It's an abomination!

If you get into development, you can move across to DBA from there if you work in the right company (Some might limit your access entirely).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Echoing, as requested. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

ok then onto n+ it is then, i thought that would have to be the next step what ever i do. I didn't realise ms access was cack, i've seen alot of jobs asking for people that can use it. i also like the look of asp.net but i'm going to look into that a bit more before i decide. Just need to get some experience with a company which is proving really hard to do. just need to hang in there i suppose

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon