1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data retrival from a Hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by d_mcgrail, Feb 1, 2010.

1. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Ive got a PC that is completely kaput and need to get the information off the hard drive I remember trying this a few years ago but the user profiles seemed to cause issues when trying to retrieve the information. If anyone can suggest how i get round this that would be great.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Providing the operating system (and environment) will help!

If we are talking about a home environment (and assuming it's the operating system has corrupted and not the drive failed) then the norm is to plug the drive in as a slave on a working machine using something like this.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What issues?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

As long as there is no encryption you should be able to attach it to a working machine(assuming it is an xp drive and machine) and log in as the admin and it should be fine to access.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

The answer above is exactly what I would do. But if you don't have the hardware and the drive is intact (e.g. its the OS causing problems) you could boot into a linux distribution connect a portable HDD and copy the data off. If I use this method I tend to use Puppy OS would do the job. (if you use this method, remember to not install over the top of Windows :wink:)

6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Parted magic ftw!:D

Certifications: A+