Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by mojorisin, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi all

Do any of you know of any free NTFS Data Recovery Software got a pc to look at and it is showing the drive as corrupt and unreadable cant even do a chkdsk on it

Although dont think the stuff on it warrants paying for one of the pro versions of the software

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

It isn't free, but at $80 Spinrite is a great tool and has worked for me.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with Boyce, although I never used this software I heard it does wonders, people saying how they recovered data from damaged drives, corrupt drives, etc. It really works.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you removed the disk from the original PC and tried to access the data from another OS like XP?

I recently had a PC that wouldn't boot and windows could not see the file system, it reported the file system as unknown.

Booted with BartPE and I could see all their data including the windows files. It's easy peezy to create a BartPE disk (bootable slimmed down version of XP which can read FAT32 NTFS).

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Just download the pebuilder file, shove an XP install disk in the CD drive, follow the prompts, insert a blank CD into your burner and hey presto, within minutes you will have a bootable windows disk.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys

thanks for the info its a colleagues pc but i dont think there is anything on there that they would have a major problem with losing as i have just found out

Tried hooking it upto another XP pc but it still wont read it

The Bart disk i have one of these made up already from a previous pc problem do you think this will give me access that using another XP machine wouldnt ?

Thanks for the input although they say not a problem to lose the data they can just buy a new drive i would still have liked to try and fix / recover the data for my own satisfaction :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry if you are already aware of this, but when you say you have tried this in another machine, you are using the <damaged> drive as a slave?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The utility that I use is PC Inspector and the good thing about it is that it's free. I've even run this software on one of our server's (raid 5 array). But at the end of the day it does depend on what the matter is with your disk and if the HDD is actually detected.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security