Data recovery Utiltys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JC, Sep 11, 2006.

1. JC

JC Bit Poster

Has any one had any experienced with Data recovery software?

We suffer from 2-3 hard disk failures each year and it is looking like it might be economically viable to purchase drive recovery software.

It seams you can pay as little as £50.00 or as much as £1000.00

Does any one have any experience good or bad?

Certifications: 70 290
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

simple small and highly recommended program is;

Spinrite from GRC.com

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Me too. Well worth the money.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Where do the hard disks fail? On the server?

If it is the server then it should be configured for redundancy, RAID 1 or 5.

On the clients then they really shouldn't be storing any data on their PC's it should all go on the server.

5. JC

JC Bit Poster

The disks are usually from remote staff systems, they should work using Offline files however not all of them work exclusively to the offline folders. We also have an External drive that failed two weeks ago.

6. JC

JC Bit Poster

I've had a quick look at spinrite 6.0, I'm not sure it will cater for a specific issue I have, the disk is being recognised in the System BIOS however it is detected as an unformatted disk in Windows. Is this the type of issue Spinrite can repair or atleast recover the data for.

Please forgive me if I sound a little sceptical as I mentioned earlier there are compainies charging anything upto £1000.00 for data recovery software.

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Even with cheap software, I doubt the cost of the man-hours put into recovering a disk is less than just buying a new hard drive with prices being what they are these days. We have about four SCSI drives fail every year and it's certainly not worth our while trying to repair them. It's the same for the desktops aswell - new drive, rebuild.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Mr.Cheeks

9. JC

JC Bit Poster

That is quite true, we are more concerned about recovering the data, I'm not sure I would trust a recovered disk after it has failed once even if recovery software had marked it as safe again.

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Ah, I see. Probably the best thing to do is educate your users in backing up data and saving onto servers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. JC

JC Bit Poster

I don't think I can get software to help with that? :rolleyes:

12. Mr.Cheeks

cant you create and automate a batch file for the users if they are always "forgetting"?

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

JC,

If people are saving important work related data locally to <My docs>, change the path to somewhere central (ie a server) and back up from there.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. JC

JC Bit Poster

Many of the systems I have trouble with are configured to use offline files as they work remotely, this causes an issue of slow saving when online or when saving so some of them work offline until they have completed a file and then synch the offline files, some of them have opted not to synch for several weeks or longer. I have set the synch on logon / logon option however they can just override this or they leave their systems turned on for weeks at a time. I will spend some time reworking the whole system when I get some time. I'm sure there will be some GPO settings that I can use to smooth things out a little.