Data Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Martinz_Sparks, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Martinz_Sparks

Martinz_Sparks New Member

Greetings all,

This is the first time I’ve posted on this site although I’ve met some members on social events with Arroryn.

Anyway I was hoping that someone would give me some advice:

I have a dead laptop hard drive that wont boot, I have tried an IDE – USB converter on a different pc, but to no avail!

Trouble is I need to get some data off the drive that is essential for work.

I have found a company that will charge £90 for their services - they have a 1 week turnaround and apparently disassemble the platters in the hard drive, and send you the info on DVD.

Trouble is, this close to Christmas, £90 isn't a great bill to swallow! Does anyone know of any software I can try to use to recover the data? Or any other magical miracle way for me to get the data back?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi there! :biggrin

Things to check:

Get hold of a 2.5 to 3.5 converter (very cheap - about £2) and see if the drive is recognized on another PC. The USB converters don't always work well when the drive is in trouble.

By 'recognized' I mean that the make and model is displayed in the boot screen. If this doesn't happen then no software in the world will recover stuff.

Next hold the drive against your ear while powering up. This takes a bit of experience, but you should be able to hear the initial head movement as a few short ticks. If this repeats then again, software is unlikely to be of use.

I have to say that £90 for a dissasembly in a clean room and simple recovery is *very* cheap. Many firms charge 10X or 100X for this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:), try Bart PE its a free recovery boot up software for dead hard drives and data recovery. Once you've boot up the laptop you should be able to access your data and save it on a usb stick.

We've tried and used it at work and it does exactly what you'd want it to do which is recover your data. Cheerio and lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell