Data off machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noel123ie, Jul 3, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi

A friend of mine has a pc that will not boot getting flashing cursor on screen. Its on XP Home.

Any software I can run on machine to get his documents off? There are not in any one location.

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What would I do?

Take out the hard-drive and slave it. Copy the documents across to the primary and then format the old drive.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep, me too. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Assuming you have tried everything to fix it (there are generally lots of ways to do this) depending on whats going wrong, where about in the boot it fails, if it just starts beeping when you turn it on.. if you have tried running in safe mode....

The easy way would be to remove the HD, caddy it up into a disk caddy and plug it into your machine as a USB drive, copy the files onto DVD or just give him the disk caddy.

If you haven't tried fixing it, I am pretty sure someone on the forums will be able to help. There is a wealth of knowledge in terms of computer support!

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If you only want to get a few select documents i would just use a Linux live disk and copy the files to a pen drive.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

The easy way would be to remove the HD, caddy it up into a disk caddy and plug it into your machine as a USB drive, copy the files onto DVD or just give him the disk caddy.

How does this work please

Thanks
    Noel

7. Qs

Screw the caddy (you may not even have one!)

1. Just physically remove the hard-drive from the PC.
    2. Go to another working PC.
    3. Insert & connect the old HDD and set it as a slave.
    4. Boot into Windows and you'll see the additional HDD.
    5. Copy the required files off.

Done.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

great but will this work if hdd is corrupted

noel

9. Qs

There's only one way to find out. :p

(As long as the HDD isn't broken then yes, it should work fine.)

Qs

10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Indeed :)
    Pull it out and stick it in the other computer- neither is going to work if the HDD is corrupt :p

12. PAT

PAT Banned

easy just boot to WINPE Disk and use xcopy with a USB drive job done!

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)