Damn Small Linux 50MB Of Penguin Power!

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by jackd, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Just found a site where you can download linux. DSL (DAMN SMALL LINUX). Go to this site click on the downloads page and click one of the ftp sites. Once at the ftp site download either dsl-2.3-embedded.zip if you want to run dsl at the same time as windows or dsl-2.3-syslinux.iso if you want to create a bootable cd.

NOTE if you download the dsl-2.3-embedded.zip file you need to open the file named dsl-windows.bat to run linux

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could also just go to www.damnsmalllinux.org :dry

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Nice one Jack!

Might come in useful especially on a pen drive

Cheers :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Thats what im using it for at the moment. Very useful if youve got multiple computers. I think on the ftp site there is a file for a pen drive. Not sure thought

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

do i have to download every single file in the archive?

7. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

No just dsl-2.3-embedded.zip if you want to run linux at the same time as windows or dsl-2.3-syslinux.iso if you want to run it from a bootable cd. Ive attached the readme file if you want to have a look

8. Mr.Cheeks

So whilst im waiting, got 2 mins left, why do they have loads of the same files for? is it for bandwidth purposes?

EDIT: Just noticed the txt file you posted... cheers...

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I think some of the files are for different purposes and maybe some are for bandwith purposes ? I dont really know

10. Mr.Cheeks

my download failed, now reloading the both files... one of bootup and other for windows - lets hope my bollock dont get chopped by I.T.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

About half the files are marked as MD5 files. These are like checksums, so you can check to see if the download is good. They can also, when used correctly, prove that the archive hasn't been tampered with.

There are also files for a separate boot floppy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I didnt know that. Well theres one more thing i know now! :biggrin

13. Mr.Cheeks

Harry - I have not yet learnt about checksum, i know its some sort of verification process but how does it work??

14. hbroomhall

It is quite a subject in itself. :biggrin

A simple one would be to take each byte and add them all up to produce a large value number. If that number agreed with what it was supposed to be then the file probably hasn't been damaged. Note I say 'probably' - it is possible to manipulate the bytes to give the correct checksum with this simple system, even though the file is damaged.

A similar idea of a checksum is used in every TCP packet sent. In this case 16 bit words are used, and instead of adding them you 'exclusive-or' them. You add a special word to the packet so that the result is all zeros, which makes it quick to check.

MD5 belongs to a class of checksums often called 'hashes'. The maths are quite involved, but the result is that it is impossible to manipulate the contents of a file while keeping the hash unaltered (well - in anything like a reasonable time that is!)

Edit: Also see this .

Harry.

15. Mr.Cheeks

download dsl-2.3-syslinux.iso and took 13 secs!!!! i eyes almost popped out of my socket!

anyway, im confused with the explanation given, this is how i doule check file contents.

Copy data over the network or wherever, and oopen the properties box on both and double check the file size is correct..., which is think your on about in your 1st method...

16. hbroomhall

No - filesize isn't even a checksum. And is only a very limited check of the copy. The copy could be completely full of zero value bytes and the size would be correct.

Harry.

17. Mr.Cheeks

...md5, checksums, hashes - i'll learn these another time...

Cheers for the attempt anyway...

18. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

md5, checksums, hashes more words i now know!! :biggrin