D2D Backup, over WAN on a budget

Discussion in 'Software' started by BrizoH, May 25, 2007.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi,

Just looking for some thoughts based on this:

The company I joined recently currently has NO backup procedure in place :shocked

They also do not want to spend much on it, no matter how much I warn them. So - based on this, I'm thinking of something like using Windows Backup with the Buffalo Terastation 2TB

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used a similar setup?

2. How does Windows Backup perform over a WAN? (currently a fair amount of data is stored on remote servers - 100Gb+ on a 2MB link)

3. How does Windows backup handle SQL db's?

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Brian

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know about the Terrastations, but I currently do something simillar on a LAN with Windows Backup.

The servers all get backed up to a Dell NAS box.

One of the servers runs SQL and everything seems to backup ok. This is probably because Windows Backup uses the Shadow Copy Service to back things up. This said though, I have never had reason to test a SQL restore using this method yet.

A suggestion would be to back up the servers locally and then transfer the backup file over the WAN link to your central location.

3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Just checked and I could actually get a 1TB box for around £350.

At that price I might just get one for the remote office, saves any problems with bandwidth.

Not my ideal solution, but I guess it's a lot better than having nothing at all.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP