Cyphers study blog

Discussion in 'Network+' started by cyphertheory, Dec 11, 2008.

1. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

Hey guys!

so i just joined up, as i have been flowndering around saying i will get myself qualified since the summer, and so far have not really done much to make it happen for me. a lot of things have changed for me in the last few months and now i realise that if i procrastinate any more ill start going backwards

so i thought i would start a log so i can see my progression and also so you guys have someone to point and laugh at when i dont get my butt into gear!

im wiping the slate clean on anything i have done with network+ before hand, i either have half learned it or forgotten it already, not a good start!

ive got two books which i bought in the summer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faster-Smarter-Network-Certification-Melissa/dp/0735619328

MS press book, this seems to be there better one of the two in terms of readability

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Administrator-Street-Smarts-CompTIA/dp/0470047240

this one isnt as good as i had hoped

so first things first is some new materials perhaps. for now im going to be working out of the MS press book

also looking at getting some media based learning (everyone prefers it when someone else does the reading ;) ) and also some exam simulators

well im tonight im going to draw up a timetable of where i want to be and when i want to do it by. anyone recommend a realistic time table? i was thinking around 3 Months, and booking my test for around March

feel free to chip in with any words of wisdom or advice!

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  2. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

so i started some study today, was looking at TCP/IP and also did a test on topologies. found it pretty easy to get back in the groove, but then IP and topology isnt the hardest of things to understand i guess

coulpe of questions to throw out there

1) on my test exam, the answers kept suggesting the adding new hosts to a mesh was quick and easy, i pretty much disagree with that idea, wondered am i wrong or do i just misunderstand what they mean

2) anyone found a good way to remember the port numbers that protocols use? i keep forgetting them!

3. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

:( no replies!

nevermind i shall blog on! done a bit more yesterday on Wan technologies and routing protocols, gladly everything made sense so i think i absorbed it quite well

been thinking that i should do my A+ in january. i have a really good knowledge of 90% of the stuff covered and ive been working in IT for a long old while now, im hoping that it should be pretty staight forward for me to pass.

ill update soon :)