cvcvcvcv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by miflandia, Aug 27, 2010.

1. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hello.

Long time no see...
    I was (am) very busy nowadays, as I became a father – I try to look after my son as much as I can. Self studding network +, and I have to grab every possible overtime in my workplace to keep the family running. Don’t even talk about the time I have spend with job search, applications and CV tweaking. :)
    Recently I had a phone interview what I have blown, because I was so stupid I took the call in my car at the company car park. (it was not arranged)
    It was a disaster. But I learnt a lot from that.

Anyway the reason why I write now is to ask you to check my CV and cover letter and kick me to the right direction.
    Also I used to make silly mistakes as the English is not my first language.
    I applying for desktop support, field support, printer and photocopier support / maintenance and 1st line support positions (mostly hands on)
    So any advice welcome.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Just a little update.
    I think I going to book the N+ for this month. I think i am ready, should I put this on the CV?

3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yes definitely.

I'd put something along the lines of; You have been studying the N+ for the last few weeks/months and plan to sit the exam in the next few weeks.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Thanks mate.

I will do that.
    What do you think about the CV? Did you find any major problem???

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

I would change the font to Arial or something similar. I think it would look much tidier.
    Also in regards to your experience you may find it really hard to break into IT without recent experience and I think you would benefit greatly from some voluntary experience on your CV. I know it's hard to combine that with full time job and family but it got me into IT.

Good luck!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

Can you do voluntary work in an IT role?? I have been thinking I need to do the same, how did you go about it? did you just phone/go around/email local IT businesses and you got some?

WIP: n+,mcdst
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

There are websites out there that list voluntary positions available. Just google for "voluntary work" or something similar. I had 2 voluntary positions in the past and both I found via the websites (the ones like do-it.org and something else).

It was a normal process of sending the CV, attending interview (with a little less competition), and getting the position.

Both positions were for charities.

8. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Thank you. I think the font change was a good idea.
    I thought about the voluntary work, the family can handle it for a while(1-2 days a week). The shift what i am doing......
    5 on 3 off. So i have my off days in different days every week.
    I tried the local computer shop as well, because they were looking for part time staff. For weekends.....
    so catch 22

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

When I used to volunteer it was whenever I had the time to do so.
    I don't think it will be a problem for charity if you can come round only once a week to sort their PCs out.

10. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Most of them I have seen until now advertising this positions for fix days like every friday 12-16, etc, etc
    but i have a look again maybe I find a flexible one.
    I know that would be the best way to get back on track. This damn lorry driving is too easy money, but the biggest dead end I ever drove in...:(
    Ok. I do not want to complain. It is a problem and it needs to be solved.
    Thank you the help mate.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You do not have to be a victim.

1. Buy a decent portable laptop.
    2. Buy a USB 3G Wifi modem/adapter.
    3. Get an inverter / car charger of some sort.

Now you can be online anywhere where your cab is, ok you should not touch it while driving, but most people don't get paid for their commute and many commute 2 hours a day. So you have some small advantages.

You can now :-

1. Self study anything IT related you like. (Using CBT's, webcasts/webinars, forums, mailing lists, virtual labs, simulators, etc).

2. Take up web based distance learning at any university around the world.

An employer that sees you've managed to get a significant qualification while on the road will at least not doubt your commitment.

Alternatively if you think the HGV thing is really holding you back then why not look for any job that provides you with whatever it is you think you need to succeed ? If you want to go to college get a part time job. If you want to study in evenings in your home office, get a 9-5 job, etc.

If you tell yourself and others 'Í could have been in IT but I preferred my cosy HGV job.' then you have already made the decision for them and for yourself, you've decided that you are not committed enough.

12. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.

I did not want to pose as a victim. I have full time job, i can feed my family, pay the bills, etc, etc.
    I already pass the A+ using cbt nuggets, and learned a lot from the meyers AIO in my break times.
    I think I was commited enough, but i had to learn to speak english before I start this. (this one has not finished yet anyway)

13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Also I think there is a perception of labourer, driver, warehouseman, etc. being not fit for the office job. You could try to look for any job which is office based and try to get into IT from there.

Don't get me wrong mate, I used to work in a freezer warehouse for 6 years myself and my feeling was that I'm not getting anywhere because of my work experience telling the recruiters "bin me" when applying for IT jobs.

Got a temp data entry job after a while and voluntered for a charity for 9 months until I got my foot in the door.

Good luck!

14. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi Luke.

I think you right, working as a driver is a big disadvantage for me. Anyway the "bin me" theory probably true, but if we think about it, why would anyone want to hire me "a driver" when they got 200 other applicants with current experience?
    This is why I started studying, I hope I can compensate this disadvantage.
    I did not want any volunteer work because my wife has to go back to work after the maternity leave, so I have to look after my son. But I changed my mind now. I do not see any other option. (of course I keep carry on studying) I applied for many entry level jobs, tweaks the cv many times, etc. Without any success or even an interview.
    So i applied for a decent part time volunteer job. Let see what happens...:)
    Anyway thank you for your help and sharing your opinion.

Istvan

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's what entry-level jobs are for... jobs in which you ENTER the industry without ANY experience. The way to get them to hire you is to make yourself look more attractive than the competition... usually, through certifications and/or degrees and/or customer service experience and/or volunteer experience and/or a solid CV and/or a great personality.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.

Yes, that must be the way.
    But it looks desperate. I try to tweak my cv, but i do not want to lie(most of the people i talk to keep telling me"if you don`t lie you not gona get the job"), I can not see the point of lying on the cv and then get caught on the interview.
    Anyway, I do not want complain. I am confident I going to get something, sooner or later....
    But i still do not know what do you think about the cv??
    It must be very good or very bad as I don`t get much feedback. :)
    Thank you

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, there's no reason to lie on your CV. Just be truthful. If you're the most suitable candidate for the job, you'll get the job. Besides, if a hiring manager suspects you of lying on a CV, you'll instantly lose your chance at the position.

My apologies. I haven't had the time to look at your CV, so I don't have any advice for you there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!