CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, Feb 12, 2011.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Hello

I am not so much new here as I joined a while back but have never really said Hello properly.

I currently work in 1st line IT Support for the city council, a nice job to be able to hold apart from that I am a contractor and with budget cuts, I am having to reapply for my own job in the coming days.

Can anyone here help me with my CV? I have never been any good at them, and knowing that I will need to apply for external jobs at the same time in the hope that I can pick something else up is more a hope right now than anything else.

In an effort to save my job I now go to college on Tuesday evenings to do the compTIA A+ essentials (701 & 702) certification, at home I am studying it as hard as I can, along with that I am doing advanced ECDL and will then jump on MCDST.

I am a man with no real qualifications, more knowledge from learning it all myself so if anyone can help with advice, please do.

James

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you post your CV here I'm sure there will be a few people who can point you in the right direction as to improvements.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Post what you have (remove personal and company details) and we can have a look.

If you haven't got anything, check the forums for CV templates and/or other people's CV's. Put something together and post it.

Maybe ask mods to move the thread to Employment and Jobs section.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Done :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If you PM it to me, I work for a company that teaches CV writing skills. I will get them to give it the once over, if you want.

6. shadowwebs

I came on today and tried to find this discussion under New Members and wondered why it had gone haha, makes perfect sense now... sorry for posting in the wrong area.

I have attached my CV after removing home address, name and phone number... i have left my email address on there so if anyone wants to email me directly they can do, but please no spam.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would change the formatting mate, doesn’t work very well IMO. Also you need some kinda personal statement which quickly gives an overview to your CV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

First up, dont include any personal information on CV's you put up here. that includes your email - you are just asking to be harassed.

Next, lose those god-awful boxes. You dont need it, and it just clutters things up and reduces the area you have to work in. Also lose the fancy colouring, its distracting and, I feel, actually makes the CV harder to read.

Put experience before education. An employer will be much more interested in what you have done. Especially since you have relevant experience.

Lose personal pronouns in anything except a personal profile section (and even there I wouldn't use it.

Put skills first - its a handy bulleted list of what you have exposure to/can do. If it's the first thing in the CV (after personal profile), it gives the reviewer a clear, instant, indication that you have the skills they are looking for.

References - again, dont include specific information on a public forum - you have just Given away your previous boss' details to anyone who happens to look - and there are many unscrupulous agencies who will use that info to harass them. Furthermore, the entire section should be removed entirely. It's understood that you will supply references (two generally) on acceptance of a job. You dont need anything saying you will do what is a standard requirement, and again you dont want to give agencies that information until absolutely necessary - you open them up to continuous harassment, and they wont thank you for it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Fergal1982

You also have a huge gap of a year on your CV (March 2010 to current). It could very well cause you issues, so be prepared to justify it. If you have acceptable justification (such as a year out travelling), you could include it in the work history almost like another job. It's not ideal, but you have to combat the fact that quite a few employers will see that and instantly bin your CV.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the others plus I think its a bit long.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. shadowwebs

Hi

I have been working for another company since March 2010 up to the present day but have not got around to updating it yet with this information.

I have removed the attachment from here, I am going to start updating and make some necessary changes.

The CV format was set out by a template I was provided with, as my CV got longer and longer though then the CV did not feel very good, with it being just in to the 4 year period.

12. shadowwebs

is this format going to be better?

Attached Files:

13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, you don't need any boxes or anything like that - keep it simple.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Fergal1982

Exactly this. Just start with a blank document. Put your details at the top, then label each section with a slightly bigger font size, in bold (and perhaps an underline). Fill it out like that for starters, then you can spruce it up a bit if necessary once everything is in place. But you dont want boxes, or borders, etc (That said, my section titles are in boxes, but only around the title - and I'm considering removing it)