CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ally_uk, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hey guys can you look at my cv and see how I can improve it many thanks I have obviously taken off my personal details

Attached Files:

2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Not good at all, Education section has pointless information and no organsation has been used.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's all a bit disjointed.

Your summary is a bit too long and it's written in a mixture of styles. Try not to use 'I' or 'my'.
    Your 'expertise' section isn't really expertise, it might be better described as 'skills and abilities'.

If you can, try to think of achievements when it comes down to providing previous work history. Rather than just list your job description, try to personalise it a bit by saying what you did well or any resposibilities or projects that were over and above the basics.

You've got too much information down under 'education'. You don't need to provide the postal addresses of your schools and the long list of exams is a bit daunting. Try to group them together into levels, like GCSE, A, Other - whatever.

What I'd suggest you do is have a look around on Google and find some good templates. Use them to set out a structure and then fill in the blanks. At the moment you have a bit of a hybrid of chronological/functional styles that it a bit confusing.

All is not lost though - you've got plenty of content there to put together a decent CV. Having nothing to say is the biggest problem you can have when writing a CV.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Does anyone have a example of a good cv?

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We liked this one:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread35970.html

But they're not hard to find.

MS Word has some templates, try Googling for 'CV templates' and if you sign up on some employment websites (such as Reed) they often have tons of advice on writing a CV and often include a wizard to help you complete one.

6. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Where is the link to the CV in the above thread I cannot seem to view it

Thanks

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, he might have removed it, shame.

But there are plenty of other places out there as I mentioned.

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Ally

Hiya i had a quick look at your cv and rehashed it abit for you.
    Any way i used a template i use at work alot for unemployed people hope it helps.

MichaelUK

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  10. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Ok So I have given it another guy please comment on improvements for this cv many thanks

Attached Files:

11. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Personal details are still on there by the way.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  12. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Those are not my real details, your thoughts on the updated cv please many thanks

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Getting there.

You've not really taken on board my earlier comments, and it does need a good proof read.
    There are several grammatical/punctuation errors in there.

Hint: If Word underlines something in red or green, there may be a problem. :biggrin

You've also used two different fonts for some reason.

But I've seen much worse!

14. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

I suck at english lol, the thing I struggle most with on the CV is describing expereince under work history would it of been better to of said what I had achieved rather then what I do on a day to day basis?

Lastly the essential skills section under the profile section is something I have added? I have just used keywords do I need to go into further detail?

Many Thanks

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Lots of people do. Not the end of the world, but it does mean you need to get someone who doesn't to proof read your CV.

Yes, that's a tough bit and yes it would. That's pretty much what I was getting at in my first post. An employer doesn't really want to read your job description. They know what an IT technician does. It doesn't tell them if you were any good at it or not. Remember, you're trying to sell yourself.

So rather than say you have knowledge of imaging and Norton Ghost, tell them that you saved your employer £x or x hours of labour by introducing an efficient image deployment strategy. Means the same thing, but says it better.

There isn't an essential skills section. :blink
    Do you mean areas of expertise?

Be careful of using the word 'expertise'.
    Are you really an Exchange expert? Or do you just administer it a little bit?
    As I said in my first post, these are really skills and abilities and not expertise.