CV - Work Experience section

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nXPLOSi, Jul 7, 2008.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I've been writing my CV from scratch the last couple of days, playing with different parts etc..

At the moment im struggling with the work experience section. I've been "in" IT for just over 2 years now, and as its only a small company (70 users), I pretty much run the show as far as the servers, workstations, networking, phones, printers etc go. I've worked with most the of the usual stuff like Server 2003, XP, SQL 2005, Exchange 2003 etc etc..

How would I put this down? I mean I've never really seen a IT specific CV, and can only guess about how its normally done. Is it standard practice to write a little about the setup etc? and then what experience I've gained from the position?

Also before the current position, I was just a regular employee at the same company, should I stick that down as well?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, havent used a CV since school. :blink

Thanks 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

.. :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have a read thru this :

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6029

There are also some useful sites if you just Google "CV writing", eg : http://www.cvtips.com/

As you young, yes, include the position you had as just a regular employee and don't forget to state any responsibilities you had.

Remember to state your certs, detail what work you have done on the sytem for the company you work for.

Don't also forget if you're going to start applying for jobs that you should have a good cover letter/email to use.

Hope that helps ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)