CV review please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by d_mcgrail, Dec 16, 2009.

1. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Just wondered if you guys could have a scan over my CV and suggest any improvements. I have removed my details apart from my name from the top of the CV.

Thanks,

D

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  2. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I think overall its excellent.

If I had to find fault with it then I can only pick on:

Technologies section is just a bunch of words with no structure or format. Me personally I structure this for example:

Operating Systems: Blah Blah Blah
    Networking: Blah Blah

Additionally, I would maybe add a field in your employment history to make it clear you were employed on a contract and maybe say what type etc (I.E 6 month fixed term contract) as you only mention contracting once in your profile and this might get missed and people think your a job hopper.

Just my opinion anyway but other than that one of the best I have seen here.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pretty good actually.

Your career profile should really be in the third person - it starts off right then goes back to 'I'.

I'd put employment history before education - that's what the employer really cares about.
    References can go at the end, it doesn't really add anything. I'd also suggest removing DOB and hobbies for the same reason.

As has been mentioned 'technologies' is a bit of a mess. It doesn't really say what your level of skill or experience is with any of them. You may want to consider leaving that bit out, and then just putting in the relevant ones when applying for a certain job. If you're going for something that specifies that they use only Microsoft technologies then you may want to leave out your Linux/SAP etc etc just to save space and make it easier to read. Your key technologies will probably go in your covering letter too - if they're asking for someone with Blackberry server experience then you tell them that up front to make sure they read your CV.

Quite a strong CV though, and well laid out.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Thanks for thats some great points...so i will work on those later tonight. Amazing what can be spotted with fresh eyes :D

5. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

At what level are you looking at finding a job btw?? If you don't mind me asking.

I only ask b/c i'm about to leave the forces soon and although i have experience in customer service and user support for around 300+ users, your 'technologies' section puts me to shame :(

Was just wondering as i am going to be looking for an entry level/1st line support/helpdesk role next year and if everyone else who applies for these kinda jobs has an extensive list of tech words like yours then i dont think i'll stand a chance! Fingers crossed your looking for 2nd line and your cv's arent the type i'll be competing with lol :eek:

Nice cv though btw nothing else to add from me besides what others have already said

WIP: N+
  6. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I felt the same, the only difference i have no relevant experience .:blink
    but i love the challenges.........:twisted::p

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

How come you had so many jobs? i am suprised you haven't moved up the ladder at all.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ooooh.

Ouch...

:twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Well the job moves come from short term contracts which haven enabled me to do quite well financially and also gain experiance.

At the moment i am in a job lower than the level i wish to be at due to the job market which meant i had to take on a job to pay the bills. However who knows what will change in the coming year :biggrin