CV question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 15, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

On Saturday after I get out the morning paper I have been asked to stay back because IT are migrating all systems to a new newtork.

I have been asked to stay back so I can test all the various systems and workflows that I have to deal with on a day to day basis to make sure everything is in working order for next week.

My question is can I put this on my CV? and how would I present it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Yes I would because at the end of the day it's to with IT, the tricky bit is putting it into words.:blink

I see if i can dig out my CV,

Just a quick question are these AD machines?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Every experience earned in the work place is like gold dust and needs a place on your CV if applicable. Well in your case it seems very much applicable and you should place it on your CV.

See below:

I recently had to work alongside the IT dept to test the new systems and software to ensure that they all worked in conjunction with daily work flows etc.

Best wishes friend and don't sell yourself short as its not only the technicalities that count but communication, team work and good customer service abilities.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know what they are changing? New domain is it?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you can find a way to put it on your CV, that's great. But if not, remember that you can tell a potential employer in an interview that you've done a network migration before! And that can be just as valuable, provided your CV can get you that interview.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

Its Windows 2k3

Cheers for the advice

As far as I know its just a new domain

Cheers for that.

All that I have been told is they are swapping over to a new network, not sure what the actuall network is but I'll find out.

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

The best way to do it is to write down in note form everything you do in that project and then use action words to describe what you did:-

example:-

Implementing backup procedures,

Ensuring servers are successfully backed up and performing system and file restores when necessary.

Installing and configuring your company's system/server with all the applications required to run the company’s day to day work flow.:blink

I think the best thing is to write it down and post it here on CF then someone here can give you feedback if it's ok or not!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. Sparky

Sounds like a big job! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

I think I'll do that, then hopefully you all can give me some good pointers on what I should put down.

Yep, the IT lot are already paranoid that I check everything in my department runs after the migration so I am to be given a check list of what I must check, such as files coming in from editorial, those files going through flight checking software, then through ink optimisation software then finally into the queues ready for output and output itself.

Then I have to check that the Ftp servers are transmitting correctly from outside customers and to top that of I have to check wether the proof printers are recieving the pages too.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes! :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Sparky

Always good to test after any infrastructure changes.

Getting back to your original question I would list it on your CV as you have been given some things to do for this migration. Looks like the IT guys will be waiting for you to give the ok before they all go to the pub! :biggrin

12. greenbrucelee

Yeah they'll be waiting on me to give the ok.

When I put it down on my CV I'll probably put something like: I was involved with the recent network migration process which involved testing the various processes that are invloved in the daily running of my department such as file transfer, receiving pages, optimization, output to plate and proof, all servers running including License server and rips and ftp boxes.

Does that sound ok?

13. Sparky

Sounds fine to me mate :thumbleft

14. greenbrucelee

Cheers for help mate :)