CV Problems

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by beaumontdvd, Jul 27, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, I have updated my CV but if you could all give me some pointers on how to improve more I will appreciate it.

No matter how harsh the comments are they are all appreciated :twisted:

Thanks!

Dave

Attached Files:

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

First reaction: too narrow. Not by much but you could make it a little bit wider.
    Change that silly font (name - top right)! Why do you repeat your name twice. Put driving license at the end of your CV. Take off DoB (and age).

I expect profile section to tell me what kind of person you are. No profile? Drop qualifications lower down.
    Skills
    Qualifications/Education
    Experience
    Other

I want to see skills in bullet points, not to read an essay.
    Just made it to the 2nd page and man, that's a wall of text (= bin). Take off the whole story about studying for A+, no recruiter will have a clue what you mean by 270. Take the whole para off, it's rubbish.
    Take all studying off. Don't mix work experience with studying or quals!
    2 different font sizes look odd in job descriptions.
    Make job descriptions more bullet pointy and less wall of text (if you know what I mean). Doesn't necessary have to be bullet points only but it must be clear what you were doing (relevant).
    Hobbies - who cares? They want an employee (preferably a robot). Not to mention that it reads like: "I like to sit on the sofa and play PS. When I get bored I go play football for a while until I get bored and do something else".

No offense meant obviously. Need a lot of work mate. Start from a scratch and post again.
    Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate, I appreciate all the comments and will change them now thanks for taking the time to go through it for me :D

I added the studying to fill up any gaps, is it ok to cut them out? Do I just detail the times I was studying?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. beaumontdvd

Thanks for the help mate, I have redrafted it out. Could you have another look please?

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files:

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Will do mate when I get home.

Good news in the other thread. Well done!

6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Right, seems better already.

I would take off Curriculum Vitae bit and replace it with your name (centered same big font size).
    Your skills section need a boost: put some technologies you've worked with like Windows XP, Vista, etc. Also the skills you have there are not really skills, what about something like: analytical approach to complex issues, ability to troubleshoot, etc.
    Qualifications - not bad but formatting is poor. Start again, same content new layout. Look on other CV in this forum section how some of them are laid out.
    If you want to put what you study for, put the full name - Comptia A+, full name of Microsoft exam.

Job experience needs some work.
    First job. Try to use bullet points:
    - advising customers
    - sales
    - preparing deliveries
    - helping out the driver
    customer service experience at the top of the list (always unless it's IT related experience of course)
    This will make it look tidy and interviewer will quickly see what you have done before.
    Don't use everyday was different. This doesn't sound professional. Seems like: "everyday was different, good ol times"...
    You need to work on your blurbs. They're too personal in my opinion. "I got on well with Call Centre"... "asked me to move upstairs". Not great.
    Create new section, something like "Others", "Additional Information" or something like that and put your driving license there. (If you speak any other languages that's the place for it too).

Take out referees available on request (all of it). You don't have a choice. If they ask for references, you have to provide them or you won't get the job. Simple as that.

You're getting there though. Hope that helps.

7. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate hopefully the interview I have tomorrow goes ok, I uploaded the CV after making your adjustments to reeds and applied for a job last night and then immediately heard back from it this morning with a potential role. So I have to say its all thanks to you mate I really appreciate it!

I will begin these changes right now, thanks again!

Dave

8. beaumontdvd

Would it be a good idea to introduce a table to the qualifcation part?

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No.
    Make your CV compatible with whatever software they use to scan it.

10. beaumontdvd

Hiya mate, done a few more changes throughout the day. Does this look any better?

Any other faults you can pick up on?

Thanks again,

Dave

Attached Files:

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

First thing that caught my attention is different font sizes for "Profile" and "Skills" headers. Keep everything consistent.
    The profile itself isn't grammatically correct. I ... takes pride ... I do. I'm not good at grammar myself but it would be nice if you could ask someone who is to reword it for you.

Mine for example is:
    I am very motivated, proactive person with a passion in technology who is fully committed to develop a successful career in IT sector. I can adapt to new surroundings and environments very quickly, and I am always willing to learn new skills that will help improve my career prospects. I take great pride in my work and work well as part of a team as well as an individual.

Feel free to use/modify it if you want.

Maybe try to use bullet points in skills and don't split them by technical, personal (but keep the non-technical at the bottom).

Other than that it's looking good

Edit: Swap qualifications so the most recent are listed first. And take that studying off (put it in additional information if you like). It's not qualification until you actually have it (sound silly I know)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  12. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate, just done the changes. Couldn't think of anything else to better the profile description you gave me. How does this look?

Thanks,
    Dave

Attached Files:

13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I think it looks good.

Good luck in your job hunt!

14. beaumontdvd

Thanks for going out your way mate with the advice!
    Really appreciated, it looks much better.

Thanks,
    Dave