CV Overview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vhb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

Hello Guys,

how it it going?

I have just finished writing my CV (yay!) and I am looking for opinions from other IT professionals that are willing to share their experience when it comes to making a good CV and could help me improve mine overall.
    I would like to thank everyone in advance for taking their time to read and comment on my CV. I know how time is precious these days.

thanks a lot

VHB

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Looks very good to be honest. You haven't been reading the advice on here already have you? :biggrin

Only a few minor things I think:

I would remove Age, and Marital Status. They arent required to be disclosed, and probably arent really worth mentioning. If you do want to keep them in, Age should either be changed to your actual age, or renamed to Date of Birth.

I would also remove the section on references.

Education looks a little cluttered to be honest, I see what you are converying, but it seems a bit.... wordy? Remove the "Completed" references, and modify the in progress to remove the date perhaps (or change the "to be completed" to "Due" or similar). Could you add the MCP, and CISCO ID's underneath the education listing perhaps? Since they are the same for both, it would be better to list them once.

You could also just list the most recent CCNA renewal, and remove the original, since the word renewed indicates that you previously held it. At any rate its probably not relevant, they just want to know you have one now, not that you have renewed 20 times.

Also, remove the "(COmpleted and In Progress)" from the education header.

Lastly, your "tag-line" jobtitle, and profile job-title dont match up. I would match them up. That said, I dont really see the need for the tag-line.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. vhb

vhb Bit Poster

I did ready some of the threads :) but that was after I had finished the first version.

Fergal1982 thank you so much! you managed to point out a few things that I overlooked and I am really pleased you caught them. CV looks much leaner now.

I have attached the newer version with the changes.

cheers
    Victor

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA, MCP,ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNP, VMware
  4. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I would remove DoB, "Hobbies & Interests" and your id's completely and try to fit Career on to one page.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003