cv help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Carlito, May 17, 2011.

1. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

can someone please have a look at my cv for me, I have been applying for alot of jobs over the last year and have had no luck with landing any interviews.I feel I have reasonably strong experience but still cant land anything .... its starting to get me down :(

any help will be kindly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not sure if its because I opened in open office but some of it is a bit misaligned to other bits. The bit that says profile is a different size to the other boxes and in the qualifications box it says 220-701 for some reason on the left hand side.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi

My opinion is that a CV should list your accomplishments, basically so it shouts this is a taster of the results I can bring to your company, The layout is ok, bullet points are good, although i would ditch the profile, as it is basically sales talk and I would skip past reading that, also the gray boxes as well, clean and precise is what you want.

I would try to list accomplishments as well as responsibilities, such as changing "Teaching learners a range of basic IT skills, Programs and applications in a friendly and easily understood manner." to something like "taught beginner IT skills to a 99% pass rate" or "taught beginner IT skills achieving a 30% productivity improvement" etc

Try to get it down to two pages if possible, also I would look at creating a basic CV, but one so that you can customise it based upon job role you are applying for.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Several mistakes there, which never looks good. There's a few bullet points with more space in between them than the others, there's a couple of mistakes in the profile (strive, not thrive is surely what you mean there) and I don't understand why you have a colon after MCDST, and why you don't have 272 listed if you are MCDST. It's almost as if you're saying you have the MCDST and it consists of those three certs.

I try to make my CV as friendly as possible for someone who perhaps has 50 CVs to look through before lunch, and that's in 20 minutes. Don't give them any reason to bin you quickly, like spelling/grammar mistakes or bad formatting (that huge space between your profile and career history is starting to annoy me now actually).
    Lose the modules in your HND/BSc, you did networking, that's all they really need to know.
    I lump all my certs together rather than by vendor. It would certainly save a lot of space if you did the same.
    Good advice from kevicho.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

hi all,

sorry for the big delay I have been looking after my ill sister for the last few weeks after a case of meningitis. I have taken on board the things you guys brought up and made the changes, but was wondering what i should put in place (if anything) for the profile section?

thanks again for the help