CV HELP

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by skulkerboyo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Ok I think I need some CV advice. I've been on the trail hunting an entry level I.T. job for months now and its gotten to the point where I've about given up. Had a couple of interviews. The first one they actually wanted a DB admin so I've no idea why they interviewed me. I basically wrote that one off 5 mins into the int. The other one was great but guess the competition was better. Since then I've been getting phone calls from agencys telling me they're putting me forward for this and that but so far no takers. I've got some experience but its from four years ago. I'm a little worried that my current employment (facilities/security) is putting people off. I also think my CV needs a going over from people in the know. I've published it as a google doc and removed all personal info other than my name-here it is

Skulkerboyo cv

Any help appreciated at this point I've nearly lost all hope:cry:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

your CV doesn't seem to be weighted right, you have loads of IT knowledge at the top but as you move down you have little IT experience which suggests you're only good on paper. maybe you should simplify your knowledge down on your CV and make it specific to the job you're applying for. also bulk out your qualifications do you drive, transport ?, try merging achievements and qualifications together, add in a little bit about your self and your hobbies/interests and try snazzing up the layout with diff fonts, bold lettering etc

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. skulkerboyo

Cheers grim you have made some very good observations there. Anyone else wanna chime in. Like I said all advice is appreciated. I'm planning a total CV overhaul. Who knows your contribution make all the difference

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The catch and trick with writing CV's is that you want yours to stand out to a certain extent. I'd use bullet points concentrate on what I have done and can do in IT and with computers experience wise.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have a look at mine, its got a me a few interviews even though I havent actually been as experienced in the positions they wanted bit they still interviewed me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its reads well mate....

This bit concerns me though

Do you *really* have extensive knowledge of these networking technologies? There does not appear to be any commercial experience to back this up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. skulkerboyo

Point taken Sparky will tone this down but I do feel this is an accurate representation of my knowledge in this area having spent the best part of this year playing with server 2003, exchange server and reading for 290 and 291. With the possible exception of vpn I've been "elbows deep" in everthing else for some time. Particularly IIS. I guess without the commercial experience to back up what I've been doing in my spare time the challenge now is how to convey it. Keep em coming guys and girls