CV Critique

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by exonje, Feb 4, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

Wondering if you could help me by critiquing my CV. Up until today I had not updated it for the last couple of years.

A couple of things I am unsure about:

• It's slightly over 1 page - should I condense it to one?
    • Should I list the courses attended or not? I have not followed any of them up by getting the certifications.
    • Should I have a brief paragraph at the top outlining my current experience and what kind of role I am looking for?
    • Does the "technical skills" section at the top look OK?
    • Do I need to list my education as it only to college level?
    I am interested to know what people think.

Many thanks,

Attached Files:

2. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

bump

3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

anyone?

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Morning, I don't have long so I'll keep it short.
    • List the courses, yes I think so, they show that an employer has invested in you and thinks you're worth investing in.
    • I have a brief paragraph, I just call it Summary I think although similar I don't alter my CV often. I usually say a little about my skills and the usual conscientious and of a smart appearance type statements.
    • I don't think so purely because a summary before it is needed. What are you, what's your main function in words i.e. Experienced Server Engineer etc
    • I think education becomes less important the older we get. I'm 35 so I don't put my A'Levels or GCSE's anymore, especially since I got my degree. A while back I reduced them to 4 A Levels, 11 GCSE's A-C. Short and sweet. One thing I would advise is get some industry certs under your belt. You have the experience. Get some paper to reinforce that. Employers have their cake and eat it these days wanting experience and evidence of MCSE, VCP etc etc
    Just my 2 cents. Also its fine to be 2 pages IMHO
    Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

thanks very much mate.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

• It's slightly over 1 page - should I condense it to one?

I think it doesn't need condensing to one page, it needs more adding to it about you yourself not just a list of bullet points. Something that can be talked about in an interview, something other than tech stuff. A lot about hiring an individual is measuring up somebody and making a judgement on if they will fit in with the current dynamics of a team/company. Add some stuff about what you like outside of work.
    • Should I list the courses attended or not? I have not followed any of them up by getting the certifications

Relevant courses yes, sure you didn't follow up by taking an exam but you attended the course and hopefully gained knowledge and experience in the process so show that to a prospective employer.
    • Should I have a brief paragraph at the top outlining my current experience and what kind of role I am looking for?

I think you have enough in the Experience section so add any unlisted experience there and use the top for a person bio as mentioned above.
    • Does the "technical skills" section at the top look OK?

Looks ok yeah, a little more thought into how its displayed would help and if you can extend it then even better.
    • Do I need to list my education as it only to college level?

You have enough relevant experience listed so unless your short I would it out.
    Remember a CV is the part that gets you a foot in the door so spending time on it is recommended, you dont want to overload it as an employer will be looking at many many more when hiring for a job. There is no number 1 rule but personally I think you need to hit the sweet spot that gives enough information about you, your experience and history for an employer to put you on the 'good candidate' pile. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks also Simon.