CV Critique

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by oscardelaboya, Jul 14, 2010.

1. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Hi All,

I've recently returned from a six month break traveling around the world, and I'm finding it tough to get a job, like most people I suppose! I have applied for a couple of positions since getting home but haven't even managed to get an interview as yet. (Both positions were asking for more experience/certifications than I have.) I'm just wondering if its my CV that is the problem or was it just down to not having the relevant experience/certifications.

I've posted up a draft copy of my CV and hope you guys could give give me some advice/constructive criticism of it.

Been reading through most of the previous CV threads and there seems to be some pretty good advice on offer.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Certifications: 70-640 AD, Configuring/MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I think your CV is pretty good. The lack of interest is probably down to the current climate. It took me 3/4 months to secure a 2nd line type position and i was looking in London so lots of scope.

In the downtime maybe add to your certifications. Network+ or a Windows Server exam.

Good luck and keep trying.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Thanks for the comment.

There seems to be very few IT support openings in Northern Ireland at the minute, most of the stuff advertised is for more senior roles.

Yeah I've been trying to spend my free time constructively, have been working on certifications,I'm currently working on the 70-640.

Do you think id be better getting the Network+ rather than the Windows Server Certs?

4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

No not necessarily. In my current position i have to study for and pass the MCITP:EA to stay in the job. So the 70-640 will be a good cert to have.
    I have never seen a job demand the Network+. Saying that i found it a good base cert in Networking and am glad i did it.

When i was looking for work, soft skills were very important. I was told by several recruiters that there were lots of candiates but not many with the right attitude. Try to show enthusiasm, willingness to learn and good customer service skills.

5. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

It seems some positions are just asking for a crazy amount of certifications/experience at the minute.

At least its good to know that it doesn't seem to be my CV thats holding me back.

I agree i think soft skills are a major factor, thats why I really want to at least get an interview, as I've generally done very well in interviews in the past.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good CV, you mention Windows Server 2003/2008 experience but no detail on it. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

The reason for that is that i just want to show that I've had some experience with the technologies. But its been fairly basic, i.e. user/computer account creation, adding printers that sort of stuff while working on the help desk.

Even when i was working on roll outs, most of the the stuff i was doing on the servers was just a matter of copying over packages then running scripts that had been prepared for us for things like WSUS/NAC.

So basically just want to show i have some experience working with Windows Server 2003/2008, that id be able to elaborate on in an interview, but don't want to make out I'm an expert on the technology, if that makes any sense?:)

8. Sparky

It does, but if you mention on your CV what you just posted it would help. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Sparky

Eh? Seems a bit crazy, no?

10. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Point taken. :biggrin

I thought I should of expanded on it a bit, just wasn't sure how to integrate it into the CV properly.

Will try and incorporate it in the next version and put it up for further critique!

11. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I work for an Outsourcing company so they advertise the fact that the engineers are MCSE/MCITP certified. I think a fair amount of Outsourcing companies require their staff to be certified to a certain level.

Anyways if i couldnt pass the exams i would struggle to do my job to decent level.

12. Sparky

I work for an outsourcing company as well. I don't think you would get the sack if you didnt have the certs!

It is good to have the certs to keep the customers happy though.

13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You'll actually get the sack :p

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I wont get the sack, ill just be moved up north! I hear the standard of engineers is lower there hey Dave :stpd

15. Sparky

o rly? :eek:

16. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Touche you southern fairy :D I concede

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3