1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV & Cover Letter Check

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Sep 19, 2012.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Sorry to keep making threads but I have been unemployed since May and was hoping you guys could give me some pointers on my CV and cover letter. As mentioned in my cover letter, I am volunteering (sometimes cash in hand) at one of my old workplaces. My old boss is willing to say ive been working there part time when they contact him for a reference. Is this ok to do? Obviously I am not paid via bank and have no wage slips, but this will make my CV look a lot better as during my time of unemployment I can say ive been working part time. I think I am not getting job interviews maybe because of my 4/5 month unemployment? What do you guys think?

I am also thinking of removing the shop assistant role at the bottom of the page to make for my freelance work (fixing computers locally) and to explain what sort of things I do. What do you think?

Also I am missing a key skills section at the top with bullet points briefly outlining my skills. DO I need to add this?

Please find both files attached.

Regards,

Dan

Attached Files:

2. ThatLondonFella

ThatLondonFella Bit Poster

I'm in the same position. Been unemployed since June and since been actively looking for work, teaching people 3D Studio Max/Photoshop and working towards A+ and N+ certificates. I've managed to bag a interview at Travelex but they still haven't got back to me yet. I was hoping to get a job before my birthday on Friday but it's not looking likely. I too have revisited my CV and Cover Letter to try an "sell" myself better. Fingers crossed the next lot of application I send off will get me something. :)

I wish you get some good feedback on here and get that all important job. :)

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+ and Network+
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks matey, good luck with your job search too!

4. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Hi can't really comment on cv or cover letter as others here would have better advice ... If you want check my cv thread I posted awhile ago .... Have you considered doing contract work its a way of getting xp and money in your pocket as well working for big name company's that wont hurt having them on the cv ;) while you look for that perm job.

Good luck finding a job

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680