CV and Job Search for New Starters in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by onoski, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Instead of putting "backpacking trip" in your resume put "took time out to reassess my priorities in life". That's not dishonest, as it is what you did, and it covers your employment gap.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

This is my point exactly, if you put down all the jobs or travelling trips on the CV (well I could not fit it on 2 pages) and what sort of messages is it sending out to future employers?

Do the see someone who has kept in work no matter what the job is rather than be on the dole? Do they think someone who has travelled has something more to offer than someone who hasn't?
    :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's a good point ff:thumbleft

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

My ex sent loads of CV's to future employers and eventually got a job at BP. She was suprised to overhear one day, that it was not her experience, qualifications or design layout of the the CV or the fancy coloured paper. NO she was choosen for her birh sign:rolleyes:

I don't stretch out my dates, but there was a time in my life when I was out of work due to a death in the family! Also CV's are not just about information on a persons history they are also a marketing tool! A selling point a chance to get your foot through thr door and maybe onto the next stage!8)

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's a strange one, considering not everyone are into birth signs or horoscopes, but I see the point and somethings the decision lies with the decision maker.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I was told the reason was because there were 3 candidates all with the same experience and qualifications and the women one was in charge of making the decision knew that anyone with that Horoscope is normally OK!:rolleyes But yes does make you wonder.

One CV workshop I went to rattle on about making use of the white space. Using arial and if possible different colour paper. So you CV stands out of the pile of other CV's.

They said you have to put yourself in the employers shoes, they don't have a lot of time and therefore will scan read the CV's. If they can't find what they are looking for in the first 10 seconds then they move onto the next one!:dry

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I see your point and agree:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell