CV and Cover Letter - Up to the task???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by colz1234, Jan 17, 2010.

1. colz1234

colz1234 Bit Poster

Hi guys and girls, ive been trying to break into the IT industry for past few months, and not really having much luck, have got 2 replies out of over 50 applications saying no thankyou.

Before i waste my time applying for more jobs, im starting to question whether my CV and cover letter are up to the task.

I will admit im not great at these things, but i have done it to the best of my ability, and i would like to know if im going in the right direction or there is things i could maybe include, or miss out???

Sorry to repost what so many have already done, you must get fed up of this question, but i would like some real world advice.

Thankyou

Attached Files:

Certifications: COMPTIA A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA MCSE
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to be really cruel here and honest, you're not getting in the door simply because you have ZERO experience in IT, or you are just not mentioning any IT experience you DO have. In your skills section, you have 4 things? 4 basic things at that. So in terms of your competitiveness, it's almost nothing.

It Just doesn't read well. You need to grab the recruiters attention by listing things you can DO, Do you know how to install Server 2008 and create a DC? if so, mention it in your skills section. Remove the experience section, it's not needed and all it does it make me realise your not right for the job. "I have no commercial experience" Well, errrr, go elsewhere. It's a buyers market remember right now. And your mention of customer service experience should be in your skills section as Excellent Customer service skills etc, and it will already be in your work experience section, or should be.

Just a few heads ups, don;t take them the wrong way mate. You will get there eventually. Take out the hobbies section too, HR couldn't care less if you like getting drunk or keeping fit. and emphasize your work experience, bring out specific examples of you applying skills that are needed in IT.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. colz1234

colz1234 Bit Poster

like i said, im useless at this stuff, but thanks for your reply anyway, i will take what you have said into account.

i know how to do lots of things, but i cant back any of it up with real world experience??? so whats the point in including it???

ive been told/read by mulitple sources that even if you have no experience, but have helped family/friends, its better to include it then not at all??

how can i apply any skills i have learnt, if no one will give me a job so i can apply these skills???? catch 22???

just a few thoughts ................

Certifications: COMPTIA A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA MCSE
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I am in the same position like you and having the same problem with experience.
    I was adviced from different people differently. Some said to include helping friends and others said that it doesn't count towards experience... but it definately shows your interest in computers
    I think it is the best to keep cv simple and show you are keen to work in IT. It is for entry level job only.
    As you have customer service experience i would drove attention to it much more than you did as it is VERY important.
    And customise cover letter more according to job ad.

When I said keep it simple - example for that is in westernking reply - write facts clearly not long stories that are not clear.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take this out mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Firstly I cannot really advise you as regard the stuff in your C.V, what I can say is that most people want experience followed by certs, however it is becoming a bit catch 22. Have you thought of checking out the local repair shops in order to gain some bench experience? A good approach is to offer your services @ a reduced rate or for free for a period.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

In your covering letter, it's seeming that you don't think you will get the job but would like to be a punt for the employer. Not good. Maybe put soemthing like:
    instead.
    It's nothing special, but at least it doesn't sound like you're begging for the job because you don't deserve it. Also you might get to the interview stage and be able to blag it. Try to expand what those certifications cover your experience for... It could trigger keywords and get people tempted to interview to find out if you're an IT geek who just hasn't had a job (which is what you want them to think).

But yea, take note of what everybody else has said in this thread, especially westernkings. He might be a Salfordian but he's given you some good pointers.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Another idea to get some experience is maybe to try your local volunteer centre they always need volunteer i.t professionals.This will look good on your cv to show your willing and gaining experience good luck:D

Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This.

If you think your lack of experience is a problem. Fix it. There's absolutely shedloads of non-profit organisations and charities that could do with a little help. This will greatly boost your CV and will help an organisation with some maintenance which probably hasn't been done in ages.
    I did it myself for 8 months while looking for a job and it helped me (as mentioned by my interviewer), so by all means give it a go.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure