CV advice if you please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I have been applying for a few jobs over the past month or so and apart from a few agency runarounds ive had no real interest, I was wondering if anybody could give a few pointers on my current CV.

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda jobs are you applying for mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Markyboyt

IT support, 1st line help desk stuff like that, A lot have big lists of experiences etc that they are after so I steer clear of those at present

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Looks a bit short, is there anyway you could beef up your IT skills? otherwise it looks fine apart from the u in compTIA

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Please, do a search on this forum for CV's as you'd find there have been hundreds of thread and advice especially the one relating to new starters writing a CV. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Markyboyt

:oops: what a div.
    Im not sure how I could beef them up, I dont want to get to a point where Im full on lying, maybe just need to reword it or something.

7. Markyboyt

Yes I have trawled back quite a few pages in this section when I initially wrote the CV and re-wrote it and monitor for new threads daily as well, but i haven't really come across anything ive felt I could adapt or incorporate into mine, A lot of people seem to have a lot more work experience to refer back to and extract points from.

8. Sparky

How are you getting on with the A+ mate? I would try and get that nailed as soon as you can, that will give any employer a better idea of your technical skills.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Markyboyt

Im heading towards the end of the AIO at the moment then onto the passports book for review.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

See here Mark http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread26002.html

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. greenbrucelee

it may sounds a bit dumb but you could put in bullet points and say things like Good knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Office. good understanding and use of windows xp etc etc

12. Markyboyt

Something like this? Im sure i must be leaving something out still

Out of work I have gained experience such as.
    • Good knowledge of using and optimising Windows XP.
    • Experience and knowledge of networking within Windows XP.
    • Confident with PC hardware replacement and repair procedures.
    • Good knowledge and experience of using the Microsoft Office package.

13. Sparky

Perhaps change the second one to "basic networking skills with Windows XP"

Then add to that with the Network+ :biggrin

14. greenbrucelee

yep :)

15. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Have you looked at maybe changing your CV to an entry-level one, see here for an example from Office online, or an IT specific CV (see here). Had a quick look at your current design and it looks like you've merged a cover letter into your CV.

Ok so you don't have the professional IT experience, no-one does when they start off. So you have to play your strengths, list your soft skills that you have developed, use key words that accurately describe you and list & tidy up your IT skills that you have gained/developed from the Comptia A+ & private experience. Separate the cover letter from your CV.

Other things that you may want to do is to join a Professional IT association like the BCS or Comptia's IT Pro. At your current level, with the BCS, Affiliate membership is what is available, while some people do not see the point it does show that you agree to follow a code of conduct and support IT Professionlism, plus it does bulk the CV a little.

Will you be completing your A+ soon? If so, you may also want to look into the ETA-i roll-over. If you have your A+, you can do a roll over and gain another certificate from ETA-i, again bulks out your CV.

Other things/certs you may also want to look into are the MOS (for the Office 2003) and MCAS (for the Office 2007 and Vista) programs, they are not professional or technical cert, but they are poweruser/"business" class certs and still useful. Again bulking out the old CV...

To gain some real experience, you may want to look at voluteering in your spare time (if you have any :) ). Take a look here for more info.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. Markyboyt

A lot of very solid advice in there ken, thanks.
    I have signed up to the BCS, there website actually has some very good careers information and info on starting out in IT.

When you say I have incorprated a cover letter into my CV do you mean the section of experience gained at work?

Im struggling to find a way of introducing soft skills and BCS (once its gone through) into any of the sections of the CV, however I put it it sounds awful.

I think I maybe need to expand on skills and knowledge gained from doing the A+ because I don't seem to at present.

17. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Some grammar stuff I've noticed:

Personal Profile:
    "...a passion for IT and a pride in my work." -> "...a passion for IT and pride in my work."

Skills:
    You spelled it as CompuTia. It is actually CompTia.

I will take a deeper look after quitting time.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  18. Markyboyt

Slightly tweaked version of my CV now.

Attached Files:

19. Sparky

Might want to mention which version here, there was a big jump between Office 2003 and Office 2007.

Perhaps change to "Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2007"

20. Markyboyt

I've not really used Office 2007, in fact I might never have used it, my main use of office was at school so until about 2002, then its just been word processing and basic spreadsheet functions and formulae.
    My work have even cheap skated and switched to open office.