customs question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Apexes, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Flying back to england wednesday for a few weeks. Question.

If i buy cigarettes in germany, i've therefore paid tax on them - am i entitled to chuck these in my hold luggage and transport them back into England?

Do the limits apply only to duty free, i.e 400 cigarettes, and a litre of spirits etc? rather than if i buy them and pay tax in germany

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I thought duty free had gone out the window within the EU?
    I could be wrong, but don't you just wonder out through the blue gate?

I was under the impression that it was only a problem if you had so much stuff they suspected that you might be trying to sell it on.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Not sure, i've looked it up but it's all vague.

I went to airport last time when i went back for the weekend, and i was only allowed certain ones and certain quantities due to flying within the EU.

So i figured if i buy what i want in germany before going to airport, i thought i could perhaps put it in my case and just waltz through, as i have paid tax for them in the country they originated from (Still cheaper than duty free within EU)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I believe the limit applies full stop. Customs desks are usually after you pick up your hold luggage, so they wont care about when you bought it. If you ever watch these border patrol type programs, they are always rummaging around some blokes smalls, looking for contraband.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Within the EU, "duty-free" is gone and has been replaced with "duty-paid". I believe that you are allowed to bring them across from Germany to the UK, but you are not allowed to sell them on - it's for personal use only.

See here for the limits :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security