Customer service / relations course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by supernova, May 13, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have zero experiance in this area, i wonder if anyone has done a small course out there (or good books, videos). That have made it easier to move into such a role? and helped them achieve good results.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are plenty of places that do these course, your local college probably does. However I have got all my experience in dealing with customers by dealing with custommers. It's something I have to do, I received no training in how to deal with people its just something thats always been an easy thing for me to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

As there are lots of different factors that go into good customer service, you could try a 'customer service' course generalising on the whole, or you could go on a number of seminars/short courses that focus on areas you personally believe may need work. Courses such as these include telephone manner, assertiveness and sales techniques.

I'm not sure what an 'NQF' is, but EdExel do offer 'Customer Service' courses linky

I also wrote a brief article on IT Helpdesk Customer Service another linky

For more articles and information, try Googling along the lines of Customer Service Articles (/webinars/articles/podcasts/seminars)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. supernova

I found some distance learning ones ....

120 hr ASET Level 2 recognised qualification .. i think thats like a GCSE/NVQ

I am tempted to go for any part-time job and fast track my A+ with this.

I think its better than nothing entering a entry level customer service related IT job and i am sure the knowledge of been able to handle tricky people will help me with my anxiety (not been control).

problem is i dont want to take on too much.

what do you think?

Andi

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think that, if you have issues with anxiety, a short course focusing on that would do you great benefit.

Customer service in and of itself is a natural reaction to wanting to help people (IMO). Hence some people seem natural at it, and other people find the thought of it completely abhorrent!

I think a course such as the one you are looking at may be tailored towards those looking to reach service desk management.

If your main issue is confidence as opposed to customer care, as I mentioned, that would be better addressed. I work on a service desk, and used to work in sales. I had real issues with being able to deal with diffiicult people - assertiveness and confidence, in short. Work sent me on a one day course, and I had a manager that kept testing me against what was learnt on that course to make sure I didn't slip back into my 'meek' ways.

The assertiveness course I sat was with a company called Adelphi Associates. As I say, work paid for mine, so I don't know what you personally would think of the cost of a course; but from my perspective, it was well worth the bucks that my employer invested. They also do service courses. Here's their website linky.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. supernova

Thanks Arroryn

I think the latter course, that you went on, would be a great idea if i was in such a job and still having issues.

I could easy take a couple days holiday and go on such a course.

Andi