Custom DVD's

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi guys!

When you download a linux OS like fedora or something.. you actually D/L 600MB or so ISO images which you then burn onto cds (3 +/-) i was wondering... is it possible to put all those ISOs onto one DVD and install the OSes?

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Some of the distros have DVD 'isos'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zimbo, when you burn the CD iso images, you are burning an image of a *bootable* Linux CD. The OS as well as the necessary boot files. Clearly you could not have more than one bootable image on larger media such as DVD, even though there would be enough space. You can't have more than one boot sector. :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo,

It's possible to install some linux distros from iso files, but you have to have some method of mounting them for use. Have a look at

http://linuxlala.net/thoughts/?p=36

for some pointers, It would work if you had the iso files on a dvd, but unless you want to mess around with this I would just say burn the 3 cds and have done with it.

Cheers

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Another nice linux website is linuxiso. It has links to multiple linux distro's.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security