Currently training to add those important letters

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Cuhulainn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Cuhulainn

Cuhulainn New Member

Hi to this excellent forum.

I am an experienced Technician, having spent the best part of 13yrs, in various roles & companies, providing
    Hardware & Software support. But now, what with the credit crunch & the reduced hours my employer has forced me into, I am looking for to further my career, but almost all HR/Agencies I speak to, are looking for
    qualifications, I don't possess because I've been working all the time & never had a the time nor in-company
    training to aquire those relevant qualifications. Such as A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCSE etc..

I am currently studying MCDST 70-271. A tedious read, & majority of it I already know.

I look forward to your comments & help, should the need arise. Is this the right thing todo? I believe I am
    right in saying that this is building-block qualification, that I could move to MCP or MCSE relatively easier, than taking those from the start?

Cuhulainn

WIP: MCDST
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Good luck and welcome

Dont be too harsh on the material, a lot you will know, but I was working in IT for 9 years before i did any certifications and I learned a few new things, but the experience you alredy have will speed up your progress.

Good luck in finding a new role.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums.

From the sounds of it you have quite a good support background (similar to myself) and yes, it is frustrating when recruiters don't seem to value experience over certs.

You may want to consider (depending on your in-depth experience) whether you need to look at A+ and N+. If your knowledge is sufficient then I would suggest perhaps starting straight on the MCSE. If you want to follow a helpdesk type route then the MSDST may be appropriate but if you are not thinking of those roles so much then the 70-270 exam from the MCSE route would probably cover what you need (note this is on Xp, there is a Vista equivalent). By opting for this route instead you could obtain the MCSA first although even a single pass would give you MCP status.

Other things to consider are :

a) ITIL Foundation

b) Join the British Computer Society

Not sure whether you're UK based but the above is the route I would follow and also don't forget to list on your CV any significant courses you have attended over the years whether vendor specific or not.

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you sit the MCDST or even half the MCDST (eg the 70-271), you'll get the MCP credential anyway. With the MCDST it's an elective for the MCSA anyway and it's a "easier" route to get you in the mind frame of taking MS exams.

Everyone has to start somewhere and your path is ok :)

Like UKD already said, look at ITIL and look into joining a professional association like the BCS.

Other certs to look into would be: Project+ / Prince2 / Intro to Project Management

and if the BCS doesn't suit you, the only other Professional Organisation that I would recommend is the IET.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Cuhulainn

Cuhulainn New Member

Thank you all for the welcome, & much appreciate your comments & advice.

WIP: MCDST
  6. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

"b) Join the British Computer Society"

Great information in this post. Does anyone know of an equal to the BCS in the States?

THX

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  7. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Apologies is this is a dumb question but if you have A+, N+ and MCDST does that mean you already have half the MCSA then??

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... you'd only have the one elective done. The A+ and Network+ can be used for the elective, OR you can use the MCDST for the elective. You'd still need a client exam and two server exams: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I believe either the A+ and N+ or an MCDST cover your elective part for the MCSA.

Cuhulainn I have just sat the exam you are studying and like you have experiance (though not as much as you) and I ended up putting off that exam for about 4 months because it bored me that much. Dont let that happen to you and push on through it to that first MCP, I'm sure it will be the first of many!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only thing I know is that the BCS has an agreement with the NPA in the US. That if you hold the CITP status with the BCS, you can gain CNP status with the NPA (see here).

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF's, glad you joined. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

NPA? I never knew it existed. Find out so much useful information from this site.

Thanks for the reply Ken!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE