Currently a Field Engineer and need advice on how to break into PM

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Vdubster187, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have been working as a contractor for 6 months now on a monthly rolling contract, not one one the most secure of jobs, but it pays well.

I pretty much do IMAC, there is nothing that complicated, once you have done a few jobs you have done them all.

I have a CCNA and have not used it once :( all configuration is done remotely, In my previous role I would configure routers switches and administrate server 2008 exchange etc..

I now feel I have suffered massive skill fade being a Field Engineer, I feel so out of touch with all software and configuration.

I really want to do something more challenging like project management ideally, my question is what would be the best way to start this journey?

Its very difficult for me to gain the experience as a field engineer and I work on my own 90% of the time.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You need to find a role that's after a junior project manager position, ideally something that's after Prince2 Foundation rather than practitioner because you don't have the PM skills for practitioner.

Word of warning, if you're complaining about losing your tech skills as an FSE you're going to do a lot worse as a PM because that really is hands off, it's more about budgets and keeping everything to a time scale, certainly not something I want to do myself (I am a techy).

You need to ask yourself whether you want to be a techy or a PM because although there are Technical PM's they aren't the guys who do the actual implementation. You probably want to get into Project Engineering instead, lots of hands on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Prince 2 Foundation is a must and also look at Business Analyst certs (BSC.org).
    I did the opposite from you, BA/PM to techy.
    The money is better in BA/PM than being a techy if you are half decent, more if you are good. But you will spend hours in meetings talking about meetings......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - which is why I switched.

A good techy with PM skills can be very sought after as you can "talk the talk and walk the walk" but you will become very "hands off" from the tech side. (which is my ultimate goal)

Good luck

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner