Current thoughts on Scheidegger/Skills Train

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by diamondhawk, May 28, 2007.

1. diamondhawk

diamondhawk New Member

Hi all,

I have just signed up to Skills Train for C# training that will cost £3250 and having read some of the posts on this site and others am now seriously worried that ive done the wrong thing. I know there are a few other posts on this subject but I cant find anything newer than around March last year so I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that is or has done this training and whether they think its worth doing. As I said, Ive only just signed up so I have a few days to cancel so if anyone out there has any new views on these people I would be delighted to hear your views as soon as youd like to give them! I think my main concern is the fact that this Scheidegger Certificate that it mentions I will receive is not recognised by anyone and I dont wanna shell out £3k for something that will ultimately get me nowhere!

[mod edit, bluerinse - post approved]

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's recognised by them.

Most training organisations, regardless of whether it is IT related or not do give out certificates to say you have sat and passed their course.. these are clearly not the same as having a Microsoft or Cisco certification which are issued by the vendors directly, after passing a related exam at either a Thompson VUE or Prometric testing centre.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. Certificates aren't the same as certifications. Personally, I couldn't care less whether someone sat a training course... but I DO care whether they've passed a certification exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

There should be a lot more newer posts on Scheidegger; training providers tend to be hot debate. Try just searching for 'Skillstrain' or 'Scheidegger'

From my own perspective, if you're letting other people's opinions sway you now, you haven't done the research.

What first compelled you to go with a training provider? And from that, why was Scheidegger your prevalent choice?

The Scheidegger certificate is a standard issue certificate given to you when your finish a certification with them. This is recognised by the training provider alone.

However, bundled in with the cost of your course is an exam refund. Scheidegger will pay for you to sit the required public exams to get the certification you have studied for. If you fail, you pay for any resits. They refund this to you via cheque after you have completed the exam. I have obtained the refunds for my A+ and N+ exams without a problem.

If you have any more concerns on Scheidegger, have a search around, reply on this thread, or drop me a PM. Although angsty people tend to shout louder than happy people, I have been a happy Scheidegger student for nearly two years, and am more than happy to give you a positive opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA