Current state of the IT job market

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ITMatt, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hey all from Malaysia,

Ok, since my last post, I packed in my old IT job (as I couldn't get the required leave) and have been traveling around Asia. Next stop will be Australia for another six to eight weeks, and then back home to resume my IT career, reason being I need to ensure that I have sufficient savings to last me 6-8 months without any income whilst I locate a new IT role.

Looking at some of the posts today, and especially on the news, it would appear that some people have concerns about the current state of the IT job market and the credit crunch affecting the country, which is why I'm making this post.

For those who have the experience/in the right position, what is the situation like for the UK IT job market?

I'm asking more from the perspective of Computer Operations/IT Support/Systems Administration where my experience lies.

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Matt, in this current economic state of uncertainty and job insecurities you're better of getting a better informed decision from job web sites.

Look at:

www.itjobboard.co.uk
    www.reed.co.uk
    www.jobserve.co.uk - most hits for IT job's
    www.jobsite.co.uk - preferred

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why not get a job in Oz ?

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'd also add :

www.cwjobs.co.uk
    www.hays.com/it/
    www.cv-library.co.uk/search-jobs/IT-jobs-in-UK.html
    www.monster.com
    www.jobsearch.co.uk/Information_Technology_jobs.html
    www.purelyit.co.uk
    www.friendsreunitedjobs.co.uk/channels/it.html

By the sounds of it you've read my post amongst others.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Not a bad idea... if you do decide to look for one, Hudson might be an agency to ask... and, if you decide that Oz isn't for you, then change the au for an nz. They cover New Zealand too.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know how it is in the UK... but there are still good IT opportunities available in the US... particularly for people who truly know what they're doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!