1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For those of you unaware, some of the guys from Google have broken away and formed a new competitor: Cuil (Pronounced Cool).

Apparently, they claim to index more pages than google.

They also arrange their results differently to google: in columns rather than in a list - and it can even pull out images from the search page to show as part of it (not necessarily new mind).

I've had a quick play, and it seems interesting, I have to admit. They claim to use a 'non-popularity' based indexing and ranking of pages.

It will be interesting to see how it develops. I always think that search engines outside of google have a bit of difficulty, in a time where to 'google it' is synonymous with searching the web in general.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I read saw this on the CNET blogs the other day, I may try it as you have said it is supposed to index more pages than google and be faster.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I like it, it looks sleek and nice, it may even make me move over to them. We'll see...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Very nice! Never realised how bored I was with the google format, nor how difficult it was to navigate. Cuil is certainly a contender. :biggrin

Where we once said "Google it" we can now say "Cuil it"! lol

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. Fergal1982

I know what you mean.

I like that they categorise the results on the right hand side of the results page. and you can expand a tab, and select a more focused subset of the query you entered.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Fergal1982

one thing I would like to see from them, which google doesnt exactly provide, would be the ability to set in your preferences a list of blacklisted sites. domains that the query will explicitly exclude from your results.

I hate getting results from experts-exchange. I refuse to pay for access to their forums. but they always appear in my searches.

7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Possibly. But you don't know you want it 'til you get it! :biggrin

I have an ee account (which I rarely use because I keep forgetting about it), and it's always been free. Which pay for services do you want to use?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. Fergal1982

whenever I've tried to view a post in ee, i just get a page telling me to sign up. and when i do, it tells me that I have to pay for it. They only appear to have free trials to sign up.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Think I saw this posted the other day on the BBC website.

I have used Cuil a few times, however it always appears to return results slower than Google, I have tested this at home and work.

I do like the format, but we shall to wait and see if it catches on or not.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I started using it earlier this week, but I'd search in Google with the same topic. Still seeing if I like the results, but so far - it's not bad. At the very least it's a change.

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You know sometimes if you view the cached page instead of clicking the link to ee it has the unadulterated version of the page!

But it is really annoying!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing