CSS Issue

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Fergal1982, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've got a bit of an issue with some CSS. I've been following This article regarding form layout without using the table elements. Its another attempt by me to not use tables for layout, and another one where its failing to convince me.

Essentially, from my perspective, the fieldset/ol/li setup is little different from a table to be honest.

However, the issue I'm having, is that according to the document, the fieldset.submit css should clear the floating, and allow everything after it to flow properly. It doesnt. After the fieldset, I have a label. In designer (I'm using VS2008), it appears on the left hand edge of the floated fieldsets. It does the same when run too.

Am I missing something?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Any chance you could post HTML/CSS code?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Fergal1982

strangely, it doesnt seem to replicate on a standalone page, so it must be something in the page itself. Unfortunately I dont have total control over the content on the page.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

The reason I asked for code is that I can't really understand what the problem is and what you're trying to do.

You can try downloading css applied to rest of the page and using it for testing on your local copy.
    Willing to help mate but not sure how I can.

5. Fergal1982

Unfortunately the CSS thats being applied thats out of my control is obfuscated inside some DLL's. So I cant get to it directly.

Never mind, I've cludged my way around the issue.

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Are you using Visual Studio 2008 Web developer? My experience is limited and it's been years since I worked on a web page for a live website and we were using tables for layout at the time. With the little bit I've worked with Visual Studio it seems like it would be much easier to work out design issues in Dreamweaver or probably even better Microsoft Expression Web as I imagine it would integrate better with VS.

I don't know if you have access to either of those programs and this is really more of a random somewhat related thought than a reply to the issue that it looks like you worked around anyway!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

VS 2008 > Dreamweaver imho.