csrss.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 30, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Got a problem with a PC,

The above service is clogging up 99% of the processor activity, now a search reveals that this process, whilst being a legit one can also be associated with a virus.

I've tried everything that I can think of to remove it short of formatting the PC!

Here's what I've tried, any further suggestions would be welcome, as the gf's gona kill me if I have to wipe it!

Ran Symantec AV,
    Ran NOD32
    Ran CCleaner
    Ran Spybot
    Ran Ewido - Hangs whilst doing the processes scan
    Tried manually killing the process in Task Manager -Can't kill it - is a system process
    Ran all of the above in safe mode - Still no fix
    Carried out a repair installation of XP, still there!
    Ran MSConfig to see if I can stop it from starting there, can't find it.

Ran out of ideas! Help! :ohmy

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

not point in killing it. your problem is most likely not with csrss.exe, but with another program that uses csrss.exe. so you need to find out which one. problem is, it could be anything.

so either try to take it from the top, by stopping or killing your third party tools and services one by one untill you find the culprit, or try to take it from the bottom, by starting the machine with as few third party tools and services running, and gradually start them up one by one.

you can also try some sysinternals tools, like process explorer. maybe that'll show something.

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

are you sure you configured NOD correctly - its very tricky... also try running it in safe mode with command prompt and dont forget to switch off system restore... also how about trying hijack this?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

csrss *has* to be running on Windows - it is a fundamental part of things - lots of other stuff gets started by it.

Use sysinternals process explorer to find out what is actualy hogging the processor.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+