CSCS Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Necroscope, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Hi, I took the CSCS exam awhile ago so that I would be able to apply for IT jobs needing a CSCS card. But the problem is I need to get the application form signed off by a construction employer but as I have not worked on a building site, is a bit of a problem. The IT jobs would be pretty basic but any work is good for my CV and my pocket. If anyone got any advice it would be great, but I know it's abit of a long shot asking here.

Thanks

Alan

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A CSCS card, like some certifications, is a catch 22.
    As you say, you can't get site work without one and yet to get one, you need to be working on site.

In reality, as long as you've sat the test you can apply for site work and then get your employer to sign off when you've started work.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Surely a yellow card would be the one you need and shouldn't need skills for it as its only a visitors card? you should get it after completing your H&S Touch screen test

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I don't understand why basic IT jobs would be on a construction site? They'd most likely be more involved in supporting the portacabin offices around the site...just as my last job with Balfour Beatty. I visited just about all the PFI schools and hospitals in the region that were construction sites but never needed the CSCS stuff because I never went onto the actual site itself...there was never a need for me to be amongst the brickies, electricians, carpenters etc.

The only people that had the CSCS stuff and were IT related were the guys putting in the fibre cabling and structured cabling for the buildings being built...and they were a 3rd party company.

Just my take on it of course.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Thanks for the help ... was hoping to get the green card but the visitor card would do for now.

drum_dude ... I'm only going by some job ads i have seen that required to have a cscs card and PPE and they were only unpacking and installing pc's and cableing up ... I guess that if the site is still classed as a construction site they want cscs cards ...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680