Critique my CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vp, Sep 25, 2010.

1. vp

vp Bit Poster

Hey guys, would appreciate any tips on how to improve my CV.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

A few things i noticed that you could improve

might want to say how?

You might want to add what A levels you did

Possibly list some appropriate modules you did for your degree

What level are the language skills, basic, fluent?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not a bad start.

Beef up your personal profile a bit - you don't need to tell them that you're looking to get a foot in the door. You want them to want you, not tell them how much you need them.

2:i in computer science? Do you mean 2:1?

Capitalisation - despite what Microsoft want you to think, Not Every Word Needs An Uppercase Intro.

You may want to consider taking off your A level grades unless they ask for them. Don't get me wrong, getting an A level is great, but if you volunteer lower grades, you'll lose out to those who claim they got A-C.

With your IT skills, you may want to say a bit more about what you've actually done, any little jobs or hobbies. At the end of the day, my Gran is proficient in Word and Excel - and she's dead. :twisted:

With your work experience - if you're trying to get into IT - I'd reword it slightly to make it match the sort of skills they will be looking for. As a switchboard operator, fine, dealing with a high volume of calls, prioritising calls, logging calls using X software, ensuring good customer service etc. Although you weren't, make it sound as if you were working in a call centre.

With your catering job, likewise. Go nuts on customer service, following procedure, safe use of technical equipment, responsibility etc...

Nothing actually wrong with it, but nothing to catch the eye either. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. vp

vp Bit Poster

Thanks alot for the tips guys I appreciate it.

RE: The A Levels, yes my grades were weak thats why Im being vague. I thought about leaving them out but that might seem abit shady.

I'll improve it by using your tips and will upload and updated copy for further review.

Thanks again.

5. vp

vp Bit Poster

Ok this is the updated version, let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good CV, straight to the point. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup, does it for me. Much better. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I also like ending my CV with: "References: Available on request" It sounds very honest........... but gives nothing away :twisted: