Critical Shortage of Linux Talent Slowing Adoption

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Oct 5, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Critical Shortage of Linux Talent Slowing Adoption" />

Critical Shortage of Linux Talent Slowing Adoption

Disheartening as it seems, corporations, governments, start-ups and small businesses have difficulty recruiting and retaining talented Linux IT workers. That has become a familiar refrain whenever Linux fails the adoption test in many places across the globe. Some Linux luminaries have suggested implementing in-house training for existing staff. Unfortunately, curriculum and trainers seem in short supply. Another aspect of this problem relates to cost. Those willing to provide training under price their services and wind up losing the respect and trust of decision makers.

The Problem?

Most human resource people believe Linux is an air conditioner company. They get confused between the term Linux and Lennox. So, HR recruiters define their job profiles like this:

Linux programmer needed by enterprise. Skills required:

REFRIGERANT METERING DEVICE CALIBRATION
    LEAK TESTING
    LIQUID & SUCTION LINE SERVICE VALVES KNOWLEDGE
    START-UP
    CHARGING FOR TXV SYSTEMS

For the rest of the story, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boycie
      Boycie
      Interesting Trip. My recent interest and obsession with Ubuntu has made me realise there are other systems out there.
      At a recent interview the IT manager asked if i knew anything about Linux. He said they were deciding to go Linux or upgrade to 2K3
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      If you read the article all the way through, you discovered that the author wrote it somewhat tongue-in-cheek. There's plenty of Linux talent out there but business doesn't always know how to find it. I do think developing skills in Linux is a plus, though.
    3. Boycie
      Boycie
      Trip,

It appears to me as a Linux rookie that by learning Linux you learn more about computing and WIndows too!
    4. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Yup. Linux skills make a tech a much more rounded and knowledgable tech, imo. I know my overall computing skills have increased a lot since I've been using Linux. I think the reason for it is that Linux allows a person to see, and manipulate, so much of what goes on in the background rather than insulating the tech from the guts of the OS through the use of wizards.
    5. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      I'd say the author hit the nail on the head.