Crimping

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 23, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Time to make one up :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When we need to install new network points, we actually get our local electrican to do the cable runs and then we do the termination at the patch panel and face plates (cheaper than getting a company in to do it).

They are quite good, they'll do their best to either undercut or price match any item you give them (provided it's a valid quote).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, we do some cabling ourselves. When it is an old building drilling a hole through a wall can take hours. In some cases we have had to drill a hole at each side of the wall and hope they meet in the middle, need to measure carefully!

Newer buildings are not so bad! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Know what you mean, false cellings, plasterboard walls, better runs :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

This is a pretty good tutorial for making your own Cat5 cables. Also gives a nice diagram for the wiring standards 568-B and 568-A which can be used to make patch cables or cross-over cables.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

And if they don't you get two holes for the price of one.

Ah, the old ones aren't necessarily the best... :rolleyes:

:biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

The trick is to strip at least 3-4 inches of the PVC off and then untwist each pair and then straighten them first at this length.

Put strands in order then trim to size before sliding into the plug.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - not any longer. This was fine in the old days, but doing this with Cat5e will guarrantee that the resultant cable will fail 5e tests.

The very minimum of cable should be untwisted these days.

And - to address the OP (Hi Mr Cheeks!) WTF are you doing building cables? It is much easier these days buying certified cables than building them!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Harry.

i know its easier, but i have loads of cable anyway, and to re-route my cabling that i've patched myself makes the job that little bit more special...

on the plus side, it always good to learn sometime new and expnd your knowledge. even if i may not be patching cables up all the time...

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Harry,

I don't think it's fair to say "but doing this with Cat5e will guarrantee that the resultant cable will fail 5e tests." You don't know unless you subject the cable to a certified Category 5e tester.

If you look inside the RJ-45 connector, there's basically two sections: 1) the "crimp zone" where the UTP jacket can go into and 2) the contacts zone where only the untwisted UTP wires can go to. BEFORE you crimp, you can insert the untwisted cable end into the connector to see if the untwisted part is short enough so that the UTP jacket reaches the boundary between the "crimp zone" and "contact zone." If the UTP jacket doesn't reach the boundary, then pull the connector off then give the untwisted wires a "haircut" by like half a millimeter or so. Then reinsert the UTP back into the RJ-45 connector. If the jacket now reaches the boundary between the "crimp zone" and the "contact zone" then that should be as reasonably short as possible for the untwisted cable end should be. On the other hand, if you gave the UTP cable "too much of a haircut" then you should cut off the untwisted part of the cable, restrip the jacket, untwist the wires, then start again. Once you're satisfied that the wires are short enough so that the jacket reaches the zone boundary yet the wires are long enough to reach the contacts, then crimp away.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Stoney,

Technically 568-B is too broad. 568-B.2 covers copper cabling.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

True - but those testers cost a *lot* of money! So how do you know you have done it right? :biggrin Trying it on a link and looking for errors doesn't always work.

The company I work for now insists on pre-made patch cables with a cert of quality, rather than making up the patches as required. They found just too many marginal cables.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+