Crib sheets for A+ material.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Baba O'Riley, May 7, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

As per Gav's idea about hosting training stuff, here is a link to some .xls files I made as crib sheets for my A+. They're very plain jane and just have the bare bones of information, but I found them quite useful. Everyone is welcome to use the information in them and make any alterations to the files that they see fit.

http://training.nagana.co.uk/spreadsheets.zip

[Edit] I suppose I should quote references to avoid a Dan Brownesque law suit. My references included books and the Internet :D.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Good stuff Baba! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

N1 Baba,they'll be greatly appreciated I reckon.. 8) .

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

Cheers for the sheets.

Do they really ask about Cyrix processors? That's going back a bit.

Certifications: Naff All
    WIP: A+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Baba - thats some good stuff you have there... cheers.

6. Baba O'Riley

Well Meyers talks about them so I thought I'd better include them but TBH, I never saw anything other than Intel Pentiums and later on my exams. I don't think I even had any questions on AMD processors.

7. Malnomates

The CompTia objectives state CPU knowledge as 'Pentuim class compatible' and I had questions on Pentium cpu's including 64 bit on my core exam.I would still take in the older technology as part of your studies as CompTia can and will change the exam criteria from time to time.

8. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

Do they test you on stuff that is more recent than material in the books?

Certifications: Naff All
    WIP: A+
  9. Baba O'Riley

They shouldn't. 64-bit processors are mentioned in Mike Meyers so they are fair game.

10. Tahrey

Tahrey Bit Poster

while i still have a potentially functioning Cyrix-333 chip and motherboard sitting in my cupboard waiting for a spare case to call home it's probably halfway relevant in some industry somewhere :)

edit (after looking at crib sheets).... cool stuff thanks, if that's the sort of thing they really ask I think I may go out and get myself a cheap A+ book and a booking for an exam already cuz i knew at least 90% of it already without any kind of formal training, just years mucking about with PCs... the remaining 10% should take about a week to pick up as it's just extra here-n-there details :)
    (ps was that really supposed to be a 455mb minimum disc for Win 9x, or 55mb? because i've fitted 95 into the latter without much hassle (w98 into about 90mb), on a 170mb junkpile hard disc in a hideous mutant hybrid PC I built - previously booting from a floppy to load 3.1 from an internal zip drive...)

Certifications: GCSE in IT... and that's it
    WIP: ECDL / Whatever finally seems right
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's good Baba! Just one question, why didn't you include all those separate spreadsheets into one Excel workbook?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Baba O'Riley

Because Pete, and I'm sure someone will disagree, I find Excel to be a hideous clunking pig and the shorter the time I can get away with using it the better. Doing that would have taken me an extra couple of minutes that I just didn't want to lose.:D

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hurrah! Someone else who detests Excel! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Malnomates

No direspect,but what you are seeing on those crib sheets amounts to a small percentage of the criteria you can be tested on to pass an A+ exam,so knowing 90% of that equates to knowing,at a guess,less than 20% of the objectives.I wouldn't be too hasty and book an exam quite yet.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fairy nuff :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)