Resolved Creation of large arrmounts of Msi*.log files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gingerdave, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi all

I have a real head scratcher of an intermitant problem and hopefully some of you have also had this.

Essentially some of the machines round the company are experiancing the creation of thousands of logfiles all starting with MSI and the a hex reference afterwards. Some of these stores have been north of 30gb!

I know it is something to do with office, however the version of office is not consistant through out the errors and nor is it every machine.

As such I have come to the conclusion that it is an corrupted update - but for the life of me I cannot work out which one.

I have attached some of the logs for your perusal to get them to upload I have rename the extention to .txt, where this machine is concerned I have removed office and reinstalled it again.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

EDIT:

Sorry really not thinking today

All machines have office 2003 deployed via GPO
    All Machines run XP Pro SP3
    Machines are of different makes and models.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have Windows Installer logging turned on?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thanks BM

Thats whats causing it, now to work out who turned it on!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Get 'em! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yes, logging has been enabled and that stuff can get wild.

Just a small recommendation if I may. See if you are able to delete the attachments from your message. They contain some information which you might not want everyone to be aware of (company name, computer name, versions of explorer that you're running, etc... etc...).

You know, security through obscurity and all that :wink:

(could result in some social engineering attempts from unscrupulous individuals...)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM