Creating websites for fun

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Neil_EvansUK, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Neil_EvansUK

Neil_EvansUK Bit Poster

Hi,

Done a little bit of HTML and Java back in uni days. Although not needed for work fancy doing a little bit of website design out of interest.

Would like the pages to be interactive eg. user input into fields or maybe something basic like the old ping pong (would that be using flash?).

We have a copy of Dreamweaver at work I could be using, or should I still be looking at using JavaScript to learn the background?

Suggestions for best way of going forward, books on the subject, or recommended websites, greatly appreciated. (Might even earn you a beer.....)

Cheers
    Neil

WIP: Need to look at MCP/MCSE sbs 2000
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, Dreamweaver is certainly one of, if not THE, best web design programs that you can get your hands on.

That said though it is quite hard for a newbie to pick up.

When I was trying (note I said trying!) to learn it I found this book helpful. I believe that the book has now been updated to the lastest version of dreamweaver and is this one.

I should just say though that this is from someone who is useless at webdesign, and resorted to developing our school website using a Publisher Wizzard! :oops:

3. Neil_EvansUK

Neil_EvansUK Bit Poster

Thanks Simon,

So you would suggest just learning Dreamweaver, Learning some JavaScript or similar (think Cookies was the in thing when at uni) is not required?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Within Dreamweaver you can create flash buttons, etc by simply clicking on icons and using drag and drop etc. thus letting the program do the hard work of coding.

Learning Java would be an option, but you would have to think about how much you want to learn it, and how much time you can dedicate to it. Do you want to get into programming, or develop your skills in support?

Like I said previously though, I aint no web developer! :rolleyes:

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

OMG Publisher makes such a mess of HTML it's untrue. The pages it creates are virtually impossible to edit afterwards. Been there too :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Neil_EvansUK

Neil_EvansUK Bit Poster

7. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Ad I mentioned in one of the other threads, publishers/ GUI editors are crap for validating pages too!

They don't keep up with the latest validation standards, which can lead to sloppy design and bad accessibility! Never a good thing. :noway

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager