Creating DR Recovery Media?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ee01akk, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ee01akk

ee01akk Bit Poster

I want to create DR media for my laptop once a month every month, backing up everything (registry, all files and folders etc), but it looks like I'm looking at backing up 40GB each time.

What's the best way to do it?

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well you need to ask yourself, 'if my hard drive melts, how much time can I afford to spend rebuilding the laptop?'

If you want the laptop up and running within half an hour, then I would suggest you backup using a disk image that you can install on a new hard drive.

If you don't mind setting up the o/s, but need copies of your files, then maybe a backup of folders/files to an external hard drive/DVD would be a better solution.

Also the amount of money you have available to spend on DR is also going to affect your decision.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

get a copy of acronis true image workstation with universal restore.

this will allow you to create a hidden partition as well as a backup to another drive. should your initial os fail then you can either restore from the hidden partition by pressing f11 or you can restore from another drive.

get the universal restore option, should your machine fail then u can restore to a different machine even if the hardware is different

has load of other great features too but u can find them on their website

and if u need a hand setting this up then give me a buzz

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you want something with a bigger name attached then why not look at Norton Ghost (link is here.

This is the software we use at work for workstation images and I'm sure it'd work perfectly well for you and your laptop. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

wouldnt say norton was bigger or better than acronis but thats just my opinion. but does ghost allow for universal restore? say an image created on a laptop, then the laptop fails, can the ghost image be restored to another different machine without all sorts of errors

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's purely that I hadn't heard of Acronis before is all :p

Yes, it can. Read the following - Link (bottom post).

In short - either software choice will do.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've seen several comments on the 'net (for what that is worth) suggesting that Acronis has now passed Ghost for usability and compatibility with the ever-changing world of Windows.

I used it when a drive was failing and it 'just worked'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

IMO it did that a long time ago. I've been using Acronis from version 6/7 onwards and it's just gotten better and better. Ghost on the other hand just got bigger and bigger.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685