Creating and assigning Group Policies

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 25, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I knocked this guide up for a friend recently who was getting to grips with creating and assigning Group Policies, so I thought I'd share. It is very basic, but you should be able to use it to help in your studies.

P.S. Sorry Boyce, but when I drew this up Only Fools was on TV and you became the subject I used! :biggrin

The document is available here.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yip 270's and 290's will find it useful! Great work simon!:thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great piece of work, thanks Si :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

this is good stuff simon and very helpful too! thanx! :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I'd just like to point out that the Group Policy tab is no longer available as you know it on the more recent exams. They assume GPMC to be installed, which completely changes that tab (can't configure anything from there).
    Though I don't know if this has been changed yet on the 290. But definately on the Active Directory exams.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Om,

Good point. While on the subject of GPMC, I would be interested to have a for and against off anybody.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmm.. Thats interesting to learn.

I can understand using the GPMC for larger organisations where they may have many departments and a complex AD setup, but for the small to mid sized organisations I would have thought the the GP MMC would suffice.

The above said though we are talking about the exams here, and MS does say that the typical candidate for these exams works in "the typically complex computing environment of medium to large companies."

So _omni_, are you saying that for these exams they have completely forgotten about accesing GP through ADUC? :blink

8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Essentially, the tab (once GPMC is installed) will contain a single button, which launches GPMC, like so:

[​IMG]

So yes, to do GPO editing/management, you use only the GPMC (once it's installed, as it doesn't leave you any other option). (I mean, you don't do editing in the GPMC, it's still gpedit.msc, but to access the policy (in order to edit it) you must go through GPMC.) And while you can potentially access it via the Group Policy tab, if you aren't in ADUC you can access it simply via gpmc.msc or the Administrative Tools.
    Either way, in the AD exams you are expected to access it like that.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

OK! Reality check cause im hitting a brick wall.. 291 (if it will come up) will use the old ADUC for Group Policy right?

So which exams start using GPMC?

omni mate help!:biggrin

10. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I remember I had to use the GPMC in an exam awhile ago, don't remember if it was the 291 or the 293, but either way it was some simple thing (though I spent an eternity frantically clicking around:)), and as long as you are semi-comfortable with it, you should be fine.
    Because those exams don't really use GPOs much I think. The 293 does a bit more, perhaps it was that one.

I would suggest though that you download it and install it on perhaps a lab pc, to get the feel of it just in case.

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

doing that right now omni thanks!:biggrin

for those of you who going to look at GPMC here some links :
    GPMC with SP1
    Group Policy Technet
    Overview of the Group Policy Management Console - from windowsecurity.com
    Administering Group Policy with the GPMC - This white paper provides an overview of GPMC and outlines essential functionality necessary to administer Group Policy with the GPMC.

alright me needs to go do some reading!:biggrin