creating a website help

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by mallet, Apr 12, 2008.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I came across phpmotion.com a few days ago. and ask myself: this is what I want from my site minus the videos and changing it to something else.
    http://phpmotion.com/content/view/17/33/

It has all the features I want from a site like uploading files, creating new pages without webmaster permissions and then grouping the files in the right group, members profiles, members deleting the files, comments, etc.
    I just wanted to know how I can go about doing something like this? I know this is a very very big task, did my research and I know it wont be easy.
    Ive been practising using sql to create a login database thanks to CF forums :biggrin and php.
    And will I get into trouble if I decide to copy any templates or if such a thing exists?

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Try taking a look at Joomla. I think it has everything you're looking for, plus the ability for it to create the database tables and populate them. It's a piece of cake to install and there are a lot of 3rd party tools to use. You basically don't need to know anything about MySQL other than how to install it to get it to work with Joomla.

Plone is also good, but it has a very steep learning curve, and Plone3 doesn't have quite as many 3rd party tools yet, but that number is growing rapidly. Plone has its own database. It's also quite resource intensive, but very scalable.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for the suggestion ffreeloader.
    before I dive in Joomla my concern is, where does all the features I quoted before fit in Joomla?
    sorry if its a newbie question.

-Mallet

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Go look at joomla.org. They have downloads, user forums, books, documentation, lists of 3rd party modules and extensions along with descriptions of what they are for, etc.... You know exactly what you want to do so you'll need to look at it. I just suggested it because it's so easy to work with on the database end of things and you sounded worried/doubtful about the database end of things.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

PHPMotion looks like an interesting tool for sharing videos. It might actually be friendlier than Joomla in this respect as Joomla is fairly text oriented.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  6. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Yes Joomla is a little more for content like state about
    This would be perfect for video only site play with both and
    See which you like more
    But also joomla has a nice video template and video plugins
    Have to develop with both maybe and see which is best results for your site

7. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks guys, I give joomla a proper going over and report back if I get stuck :thumbleft

-mallet