Creating a simple gallery/portfolio

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Markyboyt, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Heres the story, i'm trying to create my brother a website to try and generate him some work, he's a self employed builder but with all this credit crunch malarky and festive times work has dried up.

What I want to do is make a basic website with info of what he covers and to show a portfolio of some of his jobs he's done, this in the hope that people can then see the high standard of work he produces. Also I figured if people can see pics of what he's made, they can better imagine it at there house or how it could be adapted to them.

Right back on track, so I have made a basic website which i have posted onto my webspace for now which is here, its still quite empty but I am not sure of what is going to be the best way to get a gallery of his pictures on the portfolio page, I have looked at the gallery2 site but it was beyond me at present. I'm quite new to web design and just want something quite easy but effective, I'm really stuck with how to go about achieving it though, I need to keep costs at a minimum ideally as i'm obviously not charging him for the pleasure.

Oh and if anybody looks at the site, I know the logos are different sizes on each page, i was experimenting lol

Any input would be very gratefully received on this

WIP: A+
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Something like this?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Markyboyt

Ah thank you thomasMc, I think that could work yes. I was actually on this site the other day looking for one as somebody had posted it as having good resources. I must have been having a blind day.

Can that set up be implemented into a webpage or would it be its own page? If you go to the link in my OP I have planned for a portfolio page to put a gallery on that still looks like the other pages, is this a possibility or would I have to lose this? The whole project is fluid, nothing can't be changed except the logo really and the colour scheme to an extent

4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Alot of portfolio templates here, full of fancy flash templates for cheap.

Thomas, did you find that through one of my posts ? (the sites I mean)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

good being an overstatement ? Mediocre at best. ,. . . . . :twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

For something that is a bit "flashy" have a search for CSS lytebox.

8. Markyboyt

Thanks for the tip, ive been playing about with lytebox today, results here
    But I have noticed that if you click an image before everythings loaded up it seems to take you to that image as opposed to loading it as the script says so you then have to press the back button. Its as if the script is loading last or something, is their anyway to cure this or is it tough?