Creating a Lab

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by techno, Jul 5, 2009.

1. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hi
    Ok ive been pondering on this idea that i could use my server that currently runs WHS to run server 2008. I would need to upgrade the ram to 4GB to run standard. Im just thinking once ive done my MCITP either to get some server experience or sql? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Chris

Certifications: MCTS X 4, MCITP Consumer Support
    WIP: 70-271, 70-272 im on a break
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could, but then it depends on what spec the server is (see here). Is there a specific reason why you want 4GB of ram? As Windows 2008 requires a minimum of 512mb (recommend 2gb or more) and SQL 2008 requires 2gb of ram.

Unless you're already working in IT, have you thought about maybe the Server+ from Comptia? MS certifications are both vendor and version specific and there is no guarantee that you'll get a job using 2008. There are still a few 2000 servers and alot of 2003 servers out there, not to mention the various Linux and Apple servers also.

Also MS SQL certs aren't aimed at beginnners, you can see this thread as it's related to SQL.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. techno

techno Bit Poster

No reason just thought it was 4 lol. i know the server will run because i bought another and installed server 08 for a customer.
    Im quite interested in active directory although no experience. Do i need more than one server to play with exchange, sql, active directory?
    Thanks
    Chris

4. Kitkatninja

To be honest no, you can get Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition, or install the full version of everything onto one server or use Hyper-V (with extra ram) and create multiple servers each running one thing. The choice is yours :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. techno

techno Bit Poster

Thanks for your responce.
    Ive not really touched on either subject as been doing client side.
    I think active directory would be my way forward although im open to options. Which do you think would be best. If i learn more about server side would it make exchange and sql easyer to learn?
    Still young and dont really know which route to go down. Want to learn everything tbh.
    Chris

6. Kitkatninja

To be honest, I would forget about SQL and Exchange for now and just concentrate on AD for the moment (in the 2008 route), as Exchange relies heavily on AD and DNS and SQL is more branching out (concentrate on your core subjects first of all).

However it may be more benefical to do the 2003 route first of all and then upgrade to 2008 at a later date. Since you've already done the client exams, I would say look at the 70-290 (2003) next.

But the choice is yours :)

-ken

7. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hi,
    Thats good advice sort of what i was expecting. I know people will still use 2003 for a long while but how long will microsoft keep the certs going? will i have enough time to do all of them? It just so happens my uncle had the big boxset of press books. hes a devoloper and didnt need them so i got them. So i could do just lacking in confidence lol
    Thanks
    Chris

8. Kitkatninja

Considering that 2003 is still supported by MS for another 5 years, I would say that you have enough time. You've already got the client requirement (70-620) so I believe that within that time frame you can complete and pass another 3 exams (granted the 70-291 will be the hardest for the MCSA), before doing the upgrade to 2008 :)

-Ken

9. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hi
    Thanks again.
    Bit confused tho ive got mcse press book set. I want to do 70-623 first, just waiting for the press book to arrive. Cant complain as i got it off amazon for £5.00 new just with a black mark on cover. Cant complain at that can you? lol

MCSE is seven exams. my one i could use for either client or elective.
    mcsa is 4 exams? So 3 to go lol.
    I think MCSE is a bit out of my league at the moment. Would want to get a job whilst doing this.
    I remember so many training offers about these 2. one was a distance learning course for 3 grand. i told him to jog on lol. The other was firebrand for A+ or MCDST told me that self study was pointless and i wouldnt do it lol.

Im so eager to get going learning. i wish they devoloped a hard drive that you plug in to your brain. OR we could stay awake and still learn for 24 hours a day lol.

So you reckon the MCSA route after MCITP Consumer.

Then its one or two exams from MCSA to vista.
    The it academy I have got a interview with on wed offer MCDST & A+ NVQ LVL 3 ITP N+ in 5 months all for free. only problem is I'm not going to have much time in September onwards so hoping to get MCITP Consumer Done before then. Realisticly speaking i think its doable because had 2 weeks of reading 2 chapters a night and playing around with vista then bought some measure up tests. When i get the book which im hoping will be tomorrow now will book exam for a months time.
    Also can you choose your MCSA seciallity later? security sounds good as i would love to get in to the Network security at some point. bet its pretty intense.
    Thanks
    Chris