Create and Delete a SMB printer

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know this is probably a common question but I searched the forums and couldn't find the appropriate answer.

I have a Red Hat 9 virtual machine in VMWare on a Windows XP SP 1 host. The network is bridged so that from the RH VM's point of view, it is on the same network as the host. I can ping from the vm to the host and vice versa.

I have an HP Officejet 6100 connected to the host via USB and it is shared on my workgroup. I can print fine from the host machine and the other physical Windows machines on my network.

I installed the printer as an SMB printer in my RH VM but when I clicked "apply", I got an error message saying that I didn't have samba-client installed. I installed it and went to edit the settings and clicked apply, I got a message saying that it could not contact the Samba server.

The machines can ping each other and I double checked the IP address of the host, the username, password and such. I tried to delete the printer and recreate it with a different name but not only did I get the same result, I now have two printers. I cannot seem to delete them. When I open the GNOME Print Manager, both of them appear.

I looked up the problem of deleting a printer on Google but the instructions say to just select the printer and click the delete icon. There is no such icon or other selection type to delte in the print manager. I tried opening the properties of the printer and deleting from there but no go.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the matter including an instruction on how to delete a printer from the shell. Of course, I'd like to be able to create a printer that will successfully print to the Windows host. I looked up the instructions and they seem straightforward, but obviously I'm missing something.

Once final thing; I am using VMWare Beta 5 which has been interesting to say the least. I don't thing it's a VMWare bug but I thought I should mention it just in case anyone thinks it makes a difference. Thanks for your help.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Trip, I don't really know but I would start with editing the samba config files and also in the printer directory.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Finally, an answer. I haven't gotten so much as a nibble at the Linux sites I've posted this question on. Thanks for responding, nugget. :)

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey Trip, did you find the answer for this??

I was just looking and found an old reference to configuring samba with swat.

here

Hope this helps if you haven't solved it already.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Haven't had time to try and sort it. I'll take a look at the link when I get home tonight. Thanks Nugget. :)